By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Don’t know what to do

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Megan18

Don’t know what to do

Post by Megan18 »

So this is my second dose of the mx shot I had “ something “ come away on Saturday it’s been sent off to the lab for testing so my sick note ran out today my hcg level is at 2000 today it has gone down from 4800 then 3-500 but I asked the nurse about returning to work she said she didn’t recommend it just yet not until we are down to weekly appointments but I am worried about money especially as it’s January I will get ssp but is there anything else I can get to help with the bills for this month ? My husband is self employed and had got work for next week but he has been off over Christmas I feel like I’ve got to go back just to get money but if I’ve been told not to I don’t know what to do

EctopicPUL

Re: Don’t know what to do

Post by EctopicPUL »

You poor thing I totally get the money issues but your health comes first.

I used to work at Citizens advice and work in social work so have some knowledge in this area.

You can apply for universal credit, if your husband is on a low wage due to lack of work you may qualify. Different areas have different benefits at this time ridiculous I know.

Go to turn2us dot org dot uk

I don’t think we are allowed to share links on here but this is a legitimate calculator used by citizens advice and social workers etc to calculate theoretical entitlement to benefits and it tells u of local trusts in your area.

You put in your rent bills income etc and you can save it so, it means you can compare a month where ur husband earns X to one where u and he earn x + y.

The other calculator is entitledto (search that as one word). Some organisations have one preference over another.

This is what you need to do to work out your full potential range of benefit support. It’s more difficult bc of his self employed income but for you universal credit couldnwork well bc essentially it would top you up when things are really down and there’s no work. There’s a lot of legitimate fear about universal credit bc the pilot schemes which have run over at least 10 years (!) have been sporadic and not implemented well but for people in your circumstances it could really help but you won’t be flush but the Rent will be paid.

If you have a mortgage sometimes it’s less flexible but check out those calculators and local trusts.

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

Also consider this,

If you absolutely HAVE to return to work, get your doctor to do a very comprehensive return to work form with adjustments. It may be your employer considers you ‘in’ for the day even if it’s 4 hours over 8.

Eg I went back to work before a cyst burst (which is reason to take time off btw - don’t rush bk if u don’t have to, not that you’ll get a cyst but I just wasn’t well but wanted normality) but anyhow I digress, I did a shortened day and yet my employer paid me for the full day on phased return.

You can also get your doctor to suggest things like a work from home day - this may be possible for you depending on your type of employment. If you’re in an office and they could give you a different type of work that can be done at home, this may be a way of working.

This type of sick note can be used for as long as is needed. Consider this if finances mean not working is going to cause more stress than working

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

CAB and Christians against poverty (Cap) (there’s no promotion of religion just they’re an organisation which can visit at home for welfare rights) can also call and negotiate with your bills.

Often if you explain to your priority bills that you’re sick and considered a vulnerable customer, they can make some adjustments. These orgs can help you make the calls bc I’m sure your emotional energy is shot!

If push comes to shove, you don’t pay your non priority commitments this month (credit cards, catalogues etc) and focus on Rent/mortgage, council tax, gas electric and water. You notify non priority debts that you’re sick and a vulnerable customer and ask them to send you an income and expenditure form or wait for a month for you to resume payments. Either way it buys you some time X

Your health comes first.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Megan18,
I would say that it also depends on what job you do.
We advise against any heavy lifting, strenuous exercise until your hCG is below 100.
A few options may be available depending on your role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?

It is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing treatment. Please speak to your GP about having further time off work if required.

Sending much love
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Megan18

Post by Megan18 »

Thank you for your replies unfortunately regional isn’t very understanding on my circumstances and because I am a manager of a retail store she would expect me to still be doing 12hr shifts 5 days a week due to lack of staff in the building so unfortunately for me I am finding myself to just be off rather than be there and be telling them I can’t do certain things she will only bring me down and say that the store is being run into the ground which I can see me taking time off due to her hurtful comments hubby has gone back to work so hopefully money should be ok and because it’s my father in law that owns the house we rent off him we have a bit of flexibility with the rent