By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Why does the risk increase if you’ve had one eptopic?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sunnyweekend20

Why does the risk increase if you’ve had one eptopic?

Post by Sunnyweekend20 »

Hi - just wondering if anyone can tell me why you are at increased risk of another ectopic if you’ve already had one?
I initially thought that it could be scarring/damage to the tube - but if the tube has been removed and the egg comes down the healthy tube - then why the risk increase? Have searched the internet but can’t seem to find any answers! Any help in understanding much appreciated.

Thanks x

Archie86

Re: Why does the risk increase if you’ve had one eptopic?

Post by Archie86 »

This is such a good question, I'd also be interested in some kind of answer. Your logic seems like sense to me,no tube = no problem surely?!?

Missy100

Post by Missy100 »

I’d love to know the answer to this too. I had my “dodgy” tube removed so was hoping I’d have a better chance with the other healthy one! X

Sanwars2206

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi

How do you all know the ‘dodgy’ tube was removed? I’ve had 2x ectopics & a tube removed but no one has ever said my tube or tubes are dodgy?
Is there some sort of test u r having & if so what? What do I need to do to get this test?
U.K., north west based, if that helps
Thanks

Archie86

Post by Archie86 »

Hey,

For me I refer to the one that was removed when it burst, I've had no further tests etc x

Missy100

Post by Missy100 »

I knew from an investigative laparoscopy I had done a while ago. Was in my operation notes that it was narrow amongst other things. Hope that helps x

Tiffa_D

Post by Tiffa_D »

I’m gonna take a crack at answering this. I apologize for how long it is and I hope it makes sense. I’m not a medical professional, this is just how I understand it, so please don’t quote me.

First, ‘history of an ectopic’ as a risk factor is based on analyses of past data (previous cases of ectopic pregnancy). 10 women out of 500 had an ectopic pregnancy. 1 out of the 10 women that had an ectopic, had a second ectopic. Therefore the risk of having a second ectopic is 1 in 10.

Second, here’s a list of contributing factors...
-age 35 years or older
-past pelvic surgery/abdominal surgery
-multiple abortions
-history of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
-history of endometriosis
-conception occurred despite tubal ligation or intrauterine device (IUD)
-conception aided by fertility drugs or procedures
-smoking
-history of ectopic pregnancy
-history of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), such as gonorrhea or chlamydia
-having structural abnormalities in the fallopian tubes that make it hard for the egg to travel

So say:
Before my ectopic, I was over 35 but no other risk factors.
After my ectopic, I’m still over 35, but now I also have a history of ectopic and history of pelvis/abdominal surgery.

Third, a lot of women don’t have the affected tube removed; some just have part of it removed or are treated with methotrexate, and some ectopics just resolve on their own. Whatever caused the ectopic in the first place may still be a problem in the tube that was treated and some of the risk factors affect both tubes.

Studies that have analyzed the risk are not going to know the cause of each specific ectopic so they lump them all together in the statistics, even though it’s likely that some of the ectopics are caused by things that affect both tubes and some are not.