By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Coming to terms with ectopic after previous miscarriage

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
Post Reply
Jadedieza1992
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Coming to terms with ectopic after previous miscarriage

Post by Jadedieza1992 »

Hi ,

I am new to this and looking for some advise and support. I had a miscarriage in sept 2018 and I’m currently 6 days post op for ectopic. I don’t think I’ve got the point of processing the loss as it’s been a lot to deal with physically and medically. Although I’m grateful for getting the medical attention I needed and they were great… I feel once your well enough your just sent on your way and there’s no real aftercare for the emotional side of things. Both with the ectopic and the miscarriage. I know at this point there is a 10% chance of reoccurring ectopic, and when you look at the 90% chance of having a normal pregnancy 10% seems really small. But it’s still terrifying and I think some help would be beneficial to learn to see things from the view of a 90% chance of a good outcome rather than only seeing the 10% chance of a bad outcome. I feel after having the tube removal I kind of have only one chance left to get my little family and that really scares me.

Xx

Jordan12
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:35 am

Re: Coming to terms with ectopic after previous miscarriage

Post by Jordan12 »

Jade, I’m sorry for your pain. As someone in a similar stage of processing things, I look forward to seeing what perspective perhaps someone a bit further in the journey might offer. Sending prayers for comfort and healing to you.

EPT Host 22
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Coming to terms with ectopic after previous miscarriage

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Jadedieza1992,

I'm so very sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and pregnancy losses. It can be a very confusing time and brings up so many emotions which we may not have expected. Your ectopic pregnancy has been so recent, and you have suffered physical and emotional trauma, and right now, it is so important to look after yourself. There is no standard recovery process, as each of us is unique, however as you've read these boards are full of men and women who understand the challenges of ectopic pregnancies.

It's important to remember that there is nothing you did to cause or could have done to stop an ectopic pregnancy. As every women is unique, we all process it in different ways. Some days are better and some days are harder. Over time, the initial feelings may fade, but we don't forget. It's important to take the next steps in your own time. Your well-being is the most important thing right now.

When a person has only one fallopian tube they are still able to get pregnant from an egg at the opposite ovary as an egg from one ovary can travel down the tube on the other side. Conservative estimates suggest that an egg produced on the tubeless side manages to descend the remaining tube around 15 to 20% of the time. This means that rather than your fertility being halved it has been affected by around 30% or, looking at it another way, it means we have around a 70% opportunity of conception with each menstrual (period) cycle.

We naturally assume that we will ovulate from alternative ovaries each month (left ovary, right ovary, left, right etc.) This is not true and varies from woman to woman. Some women will ovulate from the same side each month with an occasional ovulation from the other side, while others will ovulate randomly from side to side.

Both ovaries compete each month to produce an egg and usually the one that is ‘pulling ahead in the race’ continues while the other one gives up (but not always – sometimes women will ovulate from both ovaries in one cycle or twice from one ovary but these are rare events that explain how we get non-identical twins naturally). It depends on which ovary contains the egg that is at the right stage of development at the point in time where the woman is due to ovulate and is nothing to do with a set pattern.

The side we ovulate from does not strictly matter as an egg from one ovary can travel down the tube on the other side.

I know that it can be difficult not to worry about possible losses. Please know that many of us still struggle with the same feelings. These boards are here to support you, and we are here for any questions and concerns for as long as you need.

With good wishes,


Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

**************************************************************************
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team
***************************************************************************

Jadedieza1992
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Re: Coming to terms with ectopic after previous miscarriage

Post by Jadedieza1992 »

I would love to hear some success stories from people who have gone on to have successful pregnancies.

I am a member of a couple of support groups on Facebook, these don’t seem to have many. Maybe it is that those who have had success stories have gone on to continue with that and the unfortunate ones have stayed on the group which maybe why there is not much positivity.

Does anyone have any idea if you can go straight on to try again as usual or is it best to have help or at least advice from a medical professional ?

Xx

EPT Host 22
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Coming to terms with ectopic after previous miscarriage

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Jadedieza1992,

There are positive stories of future pregnancies from women written within these Forum Boards. It could be a case that once a positive outcome occurs, the person forgets or does not think about returning to share it, either here or in other social media groups. The statistics that future pregnancies are possible are encouraging - approximately 65 percent of women are healthily pregnant within 18 months of ectopic pregnancy and some studies show this rises to around 85 percent after two years.

It's always important to receive medical guidance specific to your own situation. Following two ruptured ectopic pregnancies in one year, it took me a while to want to try again. However, about 14 months after the 2nd ectopic, I conceived naturally. And then very surprisingly, seven years after that, I conceived naturally again. I am absolutely done now, as as future pregnancies would pose concerns due to my specific situations.

I hope that provides some reassurance and hope.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
**************************************************************************
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team
***************************************************************************

lisa_28
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Coming to terms with ectopic after previous miscarriage

Post by lisa_28 »

Hi,

I had a miscarriage and then 6 months later an ectopic pregnancy. This was treated with MTX, which sadly failed, and then emergency surgery and I lost my tube. I then fell pregnant again 5 months after this. I was scanned at 6 weeks and they found my egg had come from the tubeless side and was in the right place. I went on to have a healthy pregnancy. I have since had another baby and again a normal pregnancy. I did however take 18 months to fall pregnant this time.

I still think about my lost pregnancies but I hope my story might help. Sending love for what is an incredibly difficult time

Post Reply