By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Tests After Ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Hopefull2020

Tests After Ectopic

Post by Hopefull2020 »

Hi Everyone,

I have followed all the threads on these forums for exactly a year this week and found them so helpful. The pain people have gone through has been heartbreaking to read but in some way comforting to know I wasn’t alone in my experience.

As it’s marking 1 year since I found the forum I thought it was time to share my story.

In July last year 9 days after tests and monitoring I was finally diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. It was small enough to treat with methotrexate so I chose that option rather than surgery. It took roughly about 5 weeks for my bloods to go back to zero and I had an emergency hospital stay for 4 nights during that time when we thought my tube was rupturing (thankfully it wasn’t)

Since then I’ve struggled a lot, felt alone, struggled with what seemed like everyone in the world announcing their pregnancy, with what would have been my due date coming and going, friends announcing their 2nd pregnancies and the constant questions around when will you have a baby….

The thing I struggled the most was not having any answers and not being offered any tests.. the hospital simply sent me on my way and said no tests could be performed and they would only look to do them if I had a 2nd ectopic.

A couple of months passed and we started TTC again with no luck. I took matters into my own hands found a private consultant and had some tests done, all bloods were normal and internal scans appeared normal consultant said I was young and would likely be pregnant in the months after and if not to come back in 6 months. Well no luck during that time month after month of disappointment. I went for my follow up and the consultant was shocked to see me again and scheduled me for a laparoscopy, D&C and hysteroscopy . I’ve now had this and they found stage 3 endometriosis on my rectum, bladder and uterus, had some cysts removed and adhesions removed.

While I’m frustrated that it’s taken a year to get this point I am glad that we possibly gotten to the source of my problems TTC and looking forward with a positive mindset for the months to come.

Im so glad I persisted and pushed to get to this point as I could have gone on for another year not knowing. I wanted to share this with you all because although I know the reason for an ectopic pregnancy can never be exactly pinpointed, if you feel unhappy with treatment you have gotten or feel that something just doesn’t feel right follow your gut and get further investigations done.

I know people from all over the world read these forums and follow up tests might be the norm in some countries which is great but in my case in Ireland it is not and you are left to figure out everything yourself.

Be kind to yourself if you are struggling at the moment, it’s perfectly normal and hopefully better days are to come 💕

EPT Host 20

Re: Tests After Ectopic

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Hopefull,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I know you will not be the only lady on this forum who is experiencing difficulty in conceiving following ectopic pregnancy.
I know it can be very difficult when tests aren't routinely offered, I would like to add to anyone else reading this post that conceiving successfully can take time and can take some couples more than a year or so.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.
Importantly, help is available if conceiving naturally has not yet been successful after some time trying - and the EPT advises that women under 35 should seek medical advice following 12 months trying to conceive and those over 35 should seek advice after 6 months.

You are right in that, it can seem very lonely at times but there are better days ahead and we will always be here to lean on.
I hope you get some positive news soon,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

miranda864

Post by miranda864 »

Sorry to hear about your endo but I hope it is giving you a more clear path forward now.

I totally agree with what you say and I think it is an important message for the forums - you really have to advocate for yourself in asking for medical tests etc. as a long of times doctors won't do certain things (especially in countries where health care is public) or won't understand the importance for you as an individual and think of things from a public health perspective.

I also got some additional tests done privately and it was well worth it. Depending on cost obviously, I am usually more than happy to pay if a doctor is not comfortable thinking that I meet the criteria for publicly-funded tests. With that combined with my own research, I was able to also uncover a likely cause for my ectopic leading to me being much more confident trying for pregnancy again.

You have to put yourself first because no one else will care as much about your tubes as you do!!

I wish you the best of luck.

maria5

Post by maria5 »

Thank you so much for posting and for sharing your experiences. I had an ectopic pregnancy following my first ivf cycle and I'm going to push for tests. My consultant said the only test I need is an ultrasound but I just don't want to go through another cycle if there are risks I don't know about. miranda864, if you don't mind sharing, which tests did you get done? I think I'm going to try and get a saline sonogram and maybe an HSG, even if I have to pay privately. I'm wondering if there is anything else I could check. xx

miranda864

Post by miranda864 »

Hi Maria
I was keen to try and investigate/rule out endometriosis (to the extent I could without a laparoscopy), chlamydia antibodies, hormonal issues and tubal patency/blockage.
In the end the only actual "additional" tests I had was an ultrasound and some blood tests, I got the answers (and treatment) I wanted so didn't go any further but had I not, I would have continued pursuing options to knock out major risks which could cause recurrence/change my approach to trying again. I totally understand what you mean about "risks I don't know about" as that's exactly how I felt!

I considered but ultimately decided against an HSG or HyCoSy, but my doctor would have been happy to refer me had I wanted it at any stage. I think everyone should have the option to have one after an ectopic, I know in some countries they don't recommend it until after two ectopics! I realise the information obtained from an HSG/HyCoSy can sometimes not be super helpful (clear tubes don't mean working, non-flowing tubes can mean spasm not blockage etc.), but I think if you are willing to go through it and have a plan for what the different outcomes might be and how they will change your way forward, then it is worth it for you.

Good luck!!!

maria5

Post by maria5 »

Hi Miranda,
Thank you so much for your reply. That is just how I'm feeling about wanting to investigate the risks. Thank you so much for sharing your approach, it is super helpful to read about how you went about it. I'm glad you got the answers and treatment you needed. xx

miranda864

Post by miranda864 »

I'm glad it helped and I hope you can get some answers too! I did heaps of research so feel free to message again if you want anyone to bounce ideas off