By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic Pregnancy & COVID19 experiences

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
KeeleyE

Re: Ectopic Pregnancy & COVID19 experiences

Post by KeeleyE »

I collapsed in pain on a Monday in March. I was sent to the sexual health clinic by 111! They told me I was pregnant. I had no pregnancy symptoms at all and had had two periods. I then started bleeding, They sent me to A&E with a suspected ectopic. When I got to A&E they did another two pregnancy tests and then told me to go home as it was probably a miscarriage as if it was ectopic I would be in much more pain. They mad a referral to early pregnancy. I'd been terribly pale for weeks and I told them this. Early pregnancy called me the next morning but were too busy to see me. I begged them to see me as I was in agony and had been up all night and. They are only open from 9-12 and so said they couldn't. When I went to early pregnancy another 24 hours later I had to go in alone and my husband had to wait outside. They then told me alone that I had a ruptured ectopic and 200ml of blood in my pelvis and that I wouldn't make it another 24 hours without emergency surgery. Fortunately, a nurse took pity on me and let me and my husband wait in a prayer room as I then had to wait 6 hours to go to theatre. They then took me off. It was heart-breaking saying goodbye to my husband in the corridor. He wasn't allowed back, even to bring me clothes or a charger for my phone. After surgery I was then taken to just a surgical ward (not a gynaecology ward). They didn't know how to deal with me. Very inappropriately a male came in and asked to shower me in the morning. They then continually asked me if I was breast feeding and whether I was pregnant. In the end I just pulled the sheet away and pointed to my drain and theatre wound. They then bladder scanned me approximately 6 ties but failed to cover the wound and so the scan gel kept getting in the wound and was obviously stinging like [heck] from the open wound.

I am a domestic abuse lawyer and at no stage did anyone ask me about how things were at home or who I was going home to. They didn't even see me off the ward when I was discharged I was just let go to find my husband in the carpark.

Al of above was obviously not helped by Covid but changes need to be made.

Cat1985

Re: Ectopic Pregnancy & COVID19 experiences

Post by Cat1985 »

What can I say...... Due to covid and not being able to actually get an appointment with a doctor... My severe pain went from... Possible appendicitis to pelvic inflammatory disease this was by telephone consultations, then 3 weeks after the pain had started I was finally told I had an ectopic pregnancy and my tube had completely ruptured.... I was then given an option of 'go home and see what happens!!!' or surgery to remove the pregnancy. Obviously I opted for the removal because I had spent so long in pain I just needed it to go away. The pregnancy was a complete shock as we werent trying. All the time I was alone, my partner not allowed to be with me... But in fairness he was doing great with our other two children who were worried about their mum. I cannot fault the doctors who prepared me for surgery (first surgery I have ever had) and the aftercare, however I wasn't given any information on what to expect when I was discharged. Still to this day I get alot of pain on the right side especially when I am due on it feels very strange and I can't touch my side sometimes without it hurting... I just refuse to go to my doctors again after the 'misdiagnosis' twice!!!! Covid brought nothing but distrust for me now when it comes to my doctors... All I think is what if I never took myself to A & E and just opted for antibiotics for pelvic inflammatory disease!?!