By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Possibility of Heterotopic Pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
scared

Possibility of Heterotopic Pregnancy

Post by scared »

Hi all,

I had a horrendous EP in March 2014, where for two weeks the Drs kept saying I wasn't pregnant, and, like all too many stories we read on here, resulted in me being rushed in for emergency surgery after my left tube ruptured.

Since then I have not ttc and so it was a shock to discover last Thursday night that I was pregnant again, although I had a feeling as my boobs are incredibly sore, I am really bloated, constantly exhausted, but I keep having period like cramps for two weeks now. I also had sharp pain in my left shoulder that had started the day before.

I went to the Dr's Friday morning and was sent straight to A&E due to my previous history of EP. After waiting for hours my tummy was prodded and poked and then bloods were taken. Then more waiting until I was transferred to the gyne ward. After two hours of waiting and a nurse retaking all my details again (do they not read any notes!) and taking another pregnancy test, I finally saw a Dr...who was hopeless! She kept congratulating me on being pregnant, asked me how far gone I was and if I had been able to schedule my U/S yet...I kept telling her I only found out yesterday and Drs sent me here as I'm at risk of EP...so no, and not really excited about being pg yet as am super scared.

After an hour wait and her talking to her senior dr they told me to come back on Sat morning for a scan.

So Saturday my boyfriend and I go to the ward at 9am...a healthcare worker said she saw that I came in yesterday and so couldn't understand why I was back again today, I told her I was asked to come for a scan and then she went on to ask who had told me as it couldn't be right...a great start. She then apologized after finding my notes, then we had a 2.5hour wait until we were ushered to a U/S room, where we were greeted by an Registrar.

The registrar was lovely, but not amazingly helpful, before I got on the bed she said that my hCG levels were really high (they are over 8000 and I'm just about 5 weeks). She started off with a trans abdominal U/S but couldn't see anything so had a trans vaginal U/S.
The registrar was not able to work the U/S machine properly so couldn't zoom in but could see a sac in my uterus - great news its not EP I thought, until she mentioned the possibility of a twin outside my uterus. But then that was the end of my consultation.

We were ushered back to the ward, more confused than ever and told to wait for another scan, 5 hours later!

This 2nd scan was done by a sonographer, and again she found the gestational sac, but could not determine if there was anything developing inside. She told me that I had a lot of free fluid in my uterus and that she couldn't see anything in my tubes or ovaries.

I was then sent back to the ward, feeling slightly happier that this is just a normal pg and that all my symptoms are of an early pregnancy - until my OH pointed out that it took them two weeks to find the EP before and I was much further on.

We waited a few hours to see another DR, and all he said to me was "did the sonographer tell you what she saw?" I said yes, he said, ok, you'll have another scan in two weeks....
I questioned weather I will have bloods taken in-between to monitor the pg, but he said no, that a scan in two weeks will be fine.

Now I am petrified. I asked every medical professional over the two days if my symptoms were atypical of an early pregnancy, as my only experience is with my EP two years ago, but no one told me!

If it wasn't for the registrar mentioning the Heterotopic pg I guess I would feel less worried right now, however I have no idea if the way I am feeling is the way most 5wk pg ladies feel? As mentioned above, I have bad period like cramping, nausea, extreme fatigue, extreme breathlessness, feeling dizzy, and shoulder pain in my left shoulder. I know the shoulder pain is meant to be on the same side as the EP but if it is and EP again for me how can it be on my left side when my tube was removed?

Apologies for the long post, I am just so scared and would love some advice!

xxxx

EPT Host 20

Re: Possibility of Heterotopic Pregnancy

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear scared,
Whispered congratulations on your pregnancy.
I completely understand how you feel, it is utterly terrifying it is very hard to relax.
I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice on your individual situation. It is difficult to advise as we all feel differently and experience differing symptoms during pregnancy. I also felt twinges and aches after my ectopic pregnancy, particularly when I next felt pregnant. My mind started racing and I was only really able to relax to some degree after my early scan.
I really feel for you that you have to wait for a further scan. Regarding your current symptoms, my advice would be to write down your symptoms and keep a pain diary to record when you feel the pain (including when in your cycle), its intensity on a scale of 1-10 and if anything helps such as rest, a hot water bottle. If anything changes or worsens or you experience bleeding, seek urgent medical advice.

I know this next two weeks are going to be very difficult as it is a nerve-wracking time but you have a friend here who understands how you are feeling.

Sending much love and gentle hugs,

Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

scared

Post by scared »

Thank you Karen for your really kind reply.

I will start a pain diary today - I've got a really busy day at work so I will see how I get on.

Rest had helped a lot but just feel so guilty when I do rest!

EPU called today and asked me to come in for a scan later this week, so glad I don't have to wait another week for a scan!

Xxx

Jayland

Post by Jayland »

Hi, i have had a heterotopic pregnancy just recently. At 5.5 wks i rushed to hospital with cramps only felt on my left side, and spotting. They done a scan and taken bloods ( htc levels were 27000) - the scan showed a sack in the correct spot, didn't see anything abnormal.
I went for a follow-up scan last Wednesday to check bub was ok now 6.6 weeks.
Saw bubs heart beating and then on my left ovary there laid a ectopic sack. I immediately tried to take it all in at once, i thought of the healthy baby and what were the chances of losing it! I then released i was a ticking time bomb!. The end result i had my L tube removed, and so far that little baby inside doing ok Fingers Crossed! Please if you need anything just ask, i know this feeling to well x

Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Hi I had a 9week ep had my tube removed after it erupted but I still feel pg 3weeks later could I be? As my mom is a twin xxx