By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Feels like just medical surgery not loss of a baby

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Abby06

Feels like just medical surgery not loss of a baby

Post by Abby06 »

Hi Im currently recovering from emergency open surgery I had on he 11/11/16 from a cornual ectopic pregnancy..... I also lost a huge amount of blood due to internal bleeding 4 litres, so I'm very lucky to be here thanks to the surgeon blood transfusions and my uterus being repaired. I was fortunate to keep tubes but haven't had my follow up app yet it's next week I am going to question the extent of damaged that was made to my uterus due to the rupture. Very scary experience for myself as was on a ward in hospital and was literally left to bleed to death, surgery ended up being emergency after finally being listened to about the increase of pain was examined and suspect of internal bleeding due to ectopic pregnancy. Was a whirlwind as it happened really quickly..... was also in alot of shock as we'do had our 12week dating scan the day before and nohing was picked up, baby was well with heartbeat and wriggling away.. I am fortunate u like some women on these forums to say I'm lucky to be blessed with a daughter with my partner and have decided because of such a traumatic ordeal and me almost losing my life we won't be trying again..... I guess it's beacause it's the 2nd baby we've lost this year and quite frankly I'm scared too. Losing baby hasn't really hit home yet as I've had to focus on recovery it's felt like just more of a medical procedure, but my permanent scar will remind me otherwise :( I know I'm only earlying into my recovery but have any other women who have experienced such trauma had the same thoughts or feelings???

EPT Host 22

Re: Feels like just medical surgery not loss of a baby

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Abby06,

It breaks my heart to hear that you’ve been through a corneal ectopic. Having been in a similar situation, I can relate to the feelings of both the traumatic event which it was and the gratitude for being able to see it from the other side. It is a rare form of ectopics and it will be important to give yourself time to heal physically and emotionally from this ordeal.

As you note, it’s common to focus on the medical procedure element of the ectopic pregnancy, as tends to be the most urgent and most visible element from which you will recover. However, over these next weeks and months, it’s so important to give yourself time to recover emotionally. There will be good days and not-so-good days, and all of this is normal.

For me, I found that writing in a journal did help to process the many elements. I found myself recalling elements of the hospital and recovery, and I found myself thinking about the family and friends who reached out with kind words. It helped me to get the words out of my head, and to eventually share with my partner and close friends.

There is no right timeline for recovery as we are each so unique. Please know that we are hear for you anytime - to ask questions, to share or just to vent.

With good wishes,

Michele

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Celine

Post by Celine »

I just can't believe this is still happening. We need to raise this in parliament or something. The same thing happened to me last year. I was telling doctors my pregnancy was ectopic for a week and they ignored me. In fact, they told me I was mentally ill and I would hurt the baby. After a week, I had what they diagnosed as a 'threatened miscarriage', ending up in A&E where I told them again it was ectopic. Again I was ignored. The next day my fallopian tube exploded and like you, I almost died.

I posted earlier this evening about PTSD. What I wanted to tell you was, this is an extremely traumatic event and should be understood as such. It isn't just that you're sad that you lost your baby. It's also that your life was threatened. On top of that. It is unbelievable to me that women are not routinely asked about this because it has taken me a year of fighting a GP who kept insisting I should just take some anti depressants and shut up. I wanted to tell you- how you are feeling is a totally logical response to a trauma like this. People always feel this way. Normally, and hopefully, it will start to fade in time. If it doesn't, (and you are very early yet, it doesn't go away overnight for anyone) but if after some time you don't feel you are getting back to normal, try to access counselling. I know how hard it can be to get someone to take you seriously but you have the right.

I also hope to get it together enough to sue the NHS, I have spoken to a solicitor and they say I will win, but I find it very hard to talk about it all so I haven't been able to pursue it yet. But hearing your story makes me even more determined. We pay 50% of the taxes in this country and I can't believe women are still receiving such inadequate treatment. I think in cases where we have not been well treated we should all sue them, otherwise women will keep suffering and dying.

Good luck my sister. I know how you feel. I do think it will get better. We are all here for you and wishing you well xxx

Abby06

Post by Abby06 »

Hi celine
Thankyou for your message yes it was horrific and def shouldn't be happening my partner was so angry as I was taken into surgery he actually went and made a complaint to the hospitalsurgeon team pals.... hey have 30 days to investigate and give us answers. My surgeon/consultant already said to me personally my case seneario will be used to set up more learning and trying across he teams that were involved in my care.... that's the least that should be done. They have admitted fault and in a result I nearly lost my life..... I've got my follow up app with consaultant this morning so might find out a bit more then. X

kelly4

Post by kelly4 »

Hi, Ive just been reading your story, im so sorry you went through that. I have had a very similar experience, I had a rare form of ectopic, an abdominal one and needed an emergency laporotomy. Its now been 8 weeks and Im back at work. Im obviously very sad about the loss of the baby (we'd been trc for over a year and on clomid as I wasnt ovulating) however for me too, the main trauma has been the surgery and medical aspect, being in hospital and recovery. I have flashbacks to passing out in a&e, flashbacks about being in the hospital and just generally how scary its all been. We're going to be trying again in January but Im so scared its going to happen again :(

Just wanted to share and hope you're doing ok. X