By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Treatment with methotrexate-my experience

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Tere

Treatment with methotrexate-my experience

Post by Tere »

I would Iike to share my experience with you as the EPT has helped me a lot with the difficulty of an ectopic pregnancy. After 4 days I found I was pregnant i started spotting. I went to my GP and she just recommended to watch out and advice me that if pain or heavy bleeding start I should go to A&E. Next day I was bleeding more and I came back to the GP who sent me to the EPU for an scan. The scan didn't show any pregnacity and It looked like I was miscarriaging. However the HCG levels came 7800. I returned after 48h for another blood test. The hcg levels had dropped off but not enough (5900). After another 48 h the hcg levels were 4900 and I was asked to return for a second scan. This time they could see the ectopic pregnancy on my right tube. There was not free fluid and I was not in pain. After repiting my blood test (40h after from my last test) it came 4100. I was treated with 1 dose of methotrexate and my hcg levels were checked after 3 and 7 days post methotrexate ( 2800 and 1100 respectively) then weekly (2 week-400; 3 week-110; 4-week 41; 5 week-21; 6 week-2.8 ) During all this time I was quite ok, without much pain. I just got "scary" pain in the 3 week post methotrexate and another scan was done. The mass had grown from 2.5x2.4 x 2x5 (first scan) to 3.5x3.0x3.7. When my hcg was 2.8 I had another scan . The mass had started to shrink (3.2x3.2). I have been told that it will take time until the mass is reabsorbed by the body. I hope my experience can help to everyone looking for answers in this forum.

emmie0811

Re: Treatment with methotrexate-my experience

Post by emmie0811 »

Hi,
Thank you for your post. I am experiencing something similar at the moment and I am really worried.

I too had methotrexate to treat my ectopic which was in my womb wall muscle. I had to have several injections to treat mine. I am nearly 3 months post methotrexate but still getting the same pains I was getting with the ectopic. My HCG levels were 7 when I was discharged on 10th November. I went for an ultrasound yesterday and I too still have a mass visible. It has shrunk but still there. I am waiting for my gp to get the report back from the sonographer to find out what happens next. Did they say to you that it would just dissolve in its own time?

Tere

Post by Tere »

Yes, they said it could take from weeks to months to fully desapegar from the body. I will get another scan in 3 weeks time to see how it goes. I hope the mass will be very small. I will give you an update. Please let me know what the consultant says to you.

emmie0811

Post by emmie0811 »

Thank you for your reply. I have heard nothing from a consultant yet. Went to the GP who was going to chase it up. It does make me feel a bit easier knowing that it can take a while to shrink. It's literally 3 months nearly since I had the last meth

emmie0811

Post by emmie0811 »

Sorry I pressed send before I finished. It's 3 months since the last methotrexate injection but only 5 weeks since my hcg levels were 7. I will keep u posted. Xxx

emmie0811

Post by emmie0811 »

Hi Tere

I have been to see the consultant this week who has looked at my scans and said that it is a jelly bean sized cyst/fibroid that is causing the pain and that there is nothing to worry about and that this should clear up on its own. We have been given the all clear to try again as i am 3months post methotrexate and he said that this should effect any future pregnancies. Do you have any update? Hope things are ok with you xx

Tere

Post by Tere »

Fantastic News!!! I am very happy for you. I Just had some ovulation pain but nothing to be worry about. I will have my next scan at the beginning of January. I will keep you post. Have a lovely Xmas!

emmie0811

Post by emmie0811 »

My pains getting worse for some reason. Going to see if I can speak to the consultant tomorrow. Yes please let me know. Hope you have a good Christmas too x

Tere

Post by Tere »

Hi Emmie,
Did you manage to talk to the consultant to know about your pain?. I hope you are feeling better xxx

Tere

Post by Tere »

Hi,
I had another scan today. After 3 weeks with hcg levels < 5 ( 2 months post methotrexate) the mass still visible with a similar size (3.2 x 2.7 x 3.5 cm) but it looks better. I have been told that if there is no pain I should not be worry. The mass will eventually disappear with time. Hope my experience can help to other people suffering an ectopic pregnancy.

emmie0811

Post by emmie0811 »

Hi Tere, I haven't had any pain since Xmas time so fingers crossed it is reducing in size. I have a follow up appointment with a consultant at end of Feb so I will let you know. Thank you for keeping me posted x