By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Pain 4 months on

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Ella13

Pain 4 months on

Post by Ella13 »

Hi everyone, I had an ectopic pregnancy and left tube removal in August this year. I recovered physically after about a month with no aches and pains (apart from an infection in my stitches)
For the last 3-4 weeks I've had a really achey pain on the same side as my ectopic, at the very least it's like a heavy 'period' like feeling before u come on, but I've also had shooting pains on and off and even burning sensations. I went to the doctors and they said it's more than likely scar tissue/adhesion pain and or my bowel shifting...the pain was initially on and off and wasn't bothering me that much, however in the last 2 days I've been in quite a bit of pain, especially in my lower back on the same side. (In fact my back hurts more that my abdomen) I had a scan at the hospital on Monday and the lay said she couldn't see anything suspicious, and said it looked like I ovulated a day or so ago from my right side. (I'm due on on Boxing Day, which makes sense.) however as that's my good side it wouldn't explain it as ovulation pain.
I feel well in myself, don't have a temp and my blood pressure is fine and I'm definitely not pregnant again, I have had a very slight urine infection but that's only been in the last few days and wouldn't explain why I've been having these pains for weeks.

Has anyone had these sorts of pains but months later?? I feel like the doctor things I'm making it up!!! Xx
I went back to the doctors and she prescribed me the IBS medicine buscapan which to be honest I have no idea why.

EPT Host 20

Re: Pain 4 months on

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Ella13,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss and your ongoing discomfort.
Unfortunately I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific information on your symptoms.

From a personal point of view, I too suffered with pains for up to a year after my ectopic pregnancy, like you these were investigated but a cause was never identified.
Experiencing some pain after an ectopic pregnancy is normal as your body has been through a great deal over the last few months. The most common reasons for pain due to adhesions (scar tissue that binds two parts of the body together) which form and take some time to settle. Your body may be preparing to ovulate and many women experience ovulation pain when they did not before their ectopic pregnancy - including myself. You also may have a heightened perception because of the sad loss that you have had to go through.
You have done the right thing in seeking medical advice and having investigations, whilst I understand your concern, that like me, there seems to be no definite diagnosis.
Can I suggest keeping a pain diary noting when the pain appears, the intensity on a scale of 0-10 and anything that helps the pain eg resting, hot water bottle, paracetamol, the new medication your Dr has just prescribed etc. Also note anything that aggravates the pain eg excercise, foods, sexual intercourse, change in bowel habits and it would also be worth noting where you are in your cycle at the time.
Visiting your doctors with this information helps them to assess how best to manage your symptoms.

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Mhyee0820

Post by Mhyee0820 »

Hello Ella! How are you now!
Im so sorry for your loss. We share the same story. Im experiencing the same pain 3 months post op now.
How have you been? Hopefully, you are fine now.
Praying for all mommas out there who are suffering loss from EP. May God send us our rainbow babies in His time. Sending my love to you all.

PerkP

Post by PerkP »

Hi Ella,

I had a similar thought 5-6 months after my operation. While it was significantly better and I could walk mine was still tender and sore occasionally. I was told it was more than likely to be scar tissue and not to worry.
I couldn't lie on my side for a good 7-8 months afterwards.

I also realised I was suffering from PTSD around this time and was having panic attacks out of the blue and night terrors. I went on medication and as soon as it kicked in I found that the pain reduced significantly. I wondered whether some of it was psychological.

I realised last night that most of my pain is gone 8 months on.

Thanks.