By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

my two ectopic pregnancies (twins with only one ectopic)

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
kelsduncan81

my two ectopic pregnancies (twins with only one ectopic)

Post by kelsduncan81 »

Hi everyone,
This is my story.. I gave birth to my son, (2011) now 5 years old and got pregnant again soon after,
(2012) I had intense pain in my stomach in week 5 of my pregnancy, I was in agony and rushed into hospital. I was terrified an thought I was having a miscarriage, there was no bleeding and i was told my hormone levels were rising normally, was givin a internal scan and everything was fine, I had a little sac of pregnancy inside my womb, went home, few days later, still in pain and started bleeding, was rushed back to hospital were I was told I had miscarried at the scan, still in unbelievable pain had a scan the next day and they then found I had a mass on my left side, another pregnancy that was ectopic. I was so confused, they told me I needed an operation, and was rushed into surgery the same day.. They removed the left tube, I was horrified and very emotionally distressed, I was afraid I would not be able to have children again.
But then last year (2015) after feeling in the right place I had a beautiful little boy now 14months. We decided to have another baby soon after as not to have too big age gaps..
I had no problems getting pregnant after my first ectopic pregnancy, It was confirmed 8 weeks ago, after the first week something just didn't feel right, I felt very pregnant after just 3weeks and then I woke up and all my symptoms had gone, my partner thought I was crazy as I kept telling him it was gone. I booked in for an early scan a week later, I did start to feel some symptoms again and tbh I thought was going mad. My hormone levels were at 500 sand scan looked normal, 2days later my bloods were 750, they said was a failing pregnancy. I was devastated. Had more blood tsts sand another scan. Bloods dropping to 730. Was told was going to miscarry, had another scan 2 days later that looked completely normal and showed growth and a yolk sac had developed. They checked my on my tube sand no sign of anything but said my Overy looked like It had bled into itself at the time of ovulation. Was nothing to worry about. Had another scan 3days later were they confirmed I had a little tiny sac of pregnancy inside my womb and to come back in 10. Days wen we should be able to see baby and heartbeat. Bout 6 days later had some pink discharge and bits of gray tissue I thought maybe I was starting to miscarry. Had no pain what so ever n felt great.
10 days later went to the scan and the nurse started to ask me of I had a bleed like a period. I new something was wrong she showed me the screen were there was two empty holes, one was never seen on scan before, and what was in the other had gone as well. She told me it was a failed pregnancy and sent me for bloods to confirm.
They called me bk that afternoon and said come back its an emergency.
I am now on day 5 after methotrexate injection... Had the injection on Xmas eve, and hoping I won't need a second injection or another operation. They dnt know exactly were the ectopic pregnancy is and said it is extremely rear to happen with 2 separate pregnancies once, never mind twice, I think emotionally I was prepared for something as I new something felt wrong, even though all my friends and family thought I was nuts...

I am still hopeful and we are going to try again after the 3 months, read lots of information and want to take the folic acid for 3 months after that, before ttc again.

I just wanted to share my story and even though my case is extremely rear, there is hope for a pregnancy after an ectopic. Xxx

EPT Host 20

Re: my two ectopic pregnancies (twins with only one ectopic)

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear kelsduncan81,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and losses,
It sounds as though you have experienced a pregnancy of unknown location (PUL) and your situation is rare.
If no pregnancy can be seen in the uterus, or there is a small gestation sac in the uterus without a yolk sac or embryo, the pregnancy will be medically labelled as a Pregnancy of Unknown Location or PUL. It is important to understand that PUL is not a diagnosis; it is a label given until the final location of the pregnancy can be identified with certainty. In the event of a PUL, blood will be taken to measure serum progesterone and hCG and the hCG test repeated 48 hours later. The doctors would also want to repeat the scan.

Until the location of the pregnancy is known definitively or the serum hormone levels have decreased to below pregnancy levels, there is a risk of complications associated with an as yet undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy. For every 100 pregnancies labelled as a PUL about 10 will subsequently be found to be ectopic; and not all of these will need treatment.
As you have had methotraxate injection, you are right to wait and take folic acid before ttc again. As a gentle reminder, with Methotrexate, you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

Importantly early scans avail. As soon as you know you are pregnant, we advise that you contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away.

Making the decision to begin trying to conceive is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. Again, you are not alone. We here emotional support whenever you need us. There is a specific TTC board you can look at too whenever feel ready.

Please do be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve and recover both physically and emotionally.
Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************