By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Help? Back to work too soon?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Nina Briston9

Help? Back to work too soon?

Post by Nina Briston9 »

I had my surgery on 30th December so 2 weeks ago now and I am going back to work on Monday.

I feel guilty for not being at work hence why I'm going back so soon. I'm so worried that everyone will question me. I am such a strong minded person but I have a feeling this may break me. I need to go back for money reasons.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it too soon?

Nina x

Louise123

Re: Help? Back to work too soon?

Post by Louise123 »

I had 7 weeks off and only went back on the 4th january. I was fine the first day back but broke down as soon as I walked through the door every night after.

I'm finding it mentally draining like putting on a show pretending you are just fine when inside you're not! It was suggested I take more time off or do phase return but I'd much prefer to keep my mind busy in work. You just need to listen to your body and do what's right for you. Find ways to cope and don't be scared to cry. I broke down in front of my colleagues last week and part of me feels better now that they now I am finding it difficult and are super supportive.

Listen to your body and if you donmt feel
Up to it just yet then do what is right for you. Giving you my love xo

Nina Briston9

Post by Nina Briston9 »

Thank you!

I feel like I must be going back too soon if you had 7 weeks off, it's only 2 weeks today for me! I'm definitely going to go in Monday and see how it goes from there!

I have a lot of supportive people at work but all my management team are males so it's going to be awkward!

Thank you and sending my love back to you xx

Shelleyb38

Post by Shelleyb38 »

Hi I'm going through exactly the same, I had my op on the 8th Jan and I'm due back on Monday. I dunno what to do I'm still in pain I keep wanting to cry. I've had an awful year lost my mom in April so it's taken me ages to stop putting on a front for all that, this just makes me feel even more lost, haven't told my inlaws so I'm just trying to get on with it! Haven't told the kids who are 24 and 11 so I just keep smiling but it's killing me!!
I just want to feel like me again???

Jakeb1803

Post by Jakeb1803 »

I had my surgery on Saturday evening and have a sick line for 2 weeks. I feel guilty not being at work but my body just isn't ready

Nicwood30

Post by Nicwood30 »

I was given a sick note for 2 weeks after my ectopic pregnancy, I'm seeing my own GP this week I need more time. Do what's right for you x

Kimmy2701

Post by Kimmy2701 »

I had surgery on 18 Jan and was signed off for 2 weeks but went back to my GP on Monday and they've signed me off for a further 2 weeks. I'm physically healing well but emotionally I'm a minefield!

Everyone is going to be different and there will not be particular time period to suit everyone so just make sure you do what feels right for you!

All the best x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Nina,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general we advise that after about six weeks, an employee should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.
If you feel you have to return to work, a few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that the employee could take on which may entail a change from their usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that the employee could action from home (which may be different from their usual role but still be of use)?

Many women experience pain after surgery and this can be the case weeks or months after the trauma. Pain is the body's sign to rest and it is important to be guided by this and taking it easier if you experience discomfort.
In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing major surgery.

There is no time frame for recovery, I would advise that generally returning to work 2weeks after surgery is early. Please allow time to recover both physically and emotionally.

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Shelleyb38

Post by Shelleyb38 »

Hi I ended up being signed off for s further 3 weeks I'm hoping to go back a week on Monday. My surger was a month ago it easier but still not completely pain free. I'm glad I had the additional time as it was very much needed. I have had time to heal and process what has happened without the stress of my job which is great. Hope you feel well soon!xx