By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Advise about GP negligence

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
sharonmc0

Advise about GP negligence

Post by sharonmc0 »

Hi. I'd like to know if anyone has made a complaint about their GP following their ectopic pregnancy. My story is that I had my 1st ectopic 6yrs ago & lost a tube. I've had 3 miscarriages since then, never making it past 7wks. No successful pregnancies. I had my most recent miscarriage in June, 3 Hcg blood tests each 48hrs apart comfirmed the levels dropped each time by a third. (though I miscarried before getting the 3rd results back) In August I fell pregnant again &saw a GP straight away. I knew something was wrong as I'd passed a blood clot around the time my period was due. She tested my bloods on the Monday, they were 70. When I saw her again on the Wednesday they had dropped to 50. She told me I would miscarry &offered me a prescription for painkillers. 10 days later nothing had happened &I knew in my heart it was ectopic. A different GP tested my Hcg levels again but didn't get the results back the same day which left me over a wkend waiting for the results. By the time the early pregnancy unit saw me the following Monday my Hcg levels were 2000. This was 12 days after my GP told me I was having a miscarriage. This pregnancy was in my ovary. I was treated with methotrexate but 24hrs later was rushed into A&E with internal bleeding and almost died. So...should I make a formal complaint about my GP? Given my history should she have done a 3rd test which would have most likely picked up that my Hcg levels had started unexpectedly rising again? Which ultimately would have red flagged that something was wrong, I'd of been monitored closely and the ectopic could have been realised and treated much sooner. Avoiding emergency surgery &the removal of an ovary. If anyone has complained about a GP I'd really appreciate any feedback or advise xx

EPT Host 20

Re: Advise about GP negligence

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear sharonmc0,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancies and losses,
I am afraid we are unable to comment specifically on your experience although I am sorry that you have been through such a difficult time.
As a charity, we are aware that ectopic pregnancy can be notoriously difficult to diagnose because it often presents with symptoms that can be suggestive of other, more usual, conditions such as gastroenteritis, miscarriage or even appendicitis. Doctors rely on women to give them clear histories about their symptoms and so the more you can tell a doctor about what has changed, what feels different and what is worrying you, the more likely they are to be able to diagnose you. This can be difficult for both parties.

If you feel able, perhaps you could send an email or letter to the practice manager outlining your concerns and requesting further information on your management.

I have found some information on citizens advice if you wish to pursue a complaint further

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/healt ... about-gps/

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************