By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Trying again

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Rachel13

Trying again

Post by Rachel13 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this so I'll give a quick background of my experience.

We found out we were pregnant on the 1st December 2016 with our 2nd child. But unfortunately that only lasted until the 6th as I became extremely unwell quite suddenly and was told to go to a & e. Once there they mentioned ectopic but you never think it will happen to you so I didn't think too much into that diagnosis!

Upon returning the next day for scans and blood tests we were told it was almost definitely ectopic and they would start methotrexate as my HCG levels were not healthy (they went from 399-798 in a week!)

1st dose didn't really do anything so I was given a 2nd dose just before Christmas!

On December 27th I was told they'd see me January 1st which by then they were dropping and were back to 399 (was always similar numbers to previous) January 2nd they said they'd dropped to 299 and would see me in 1 week! But that didn't happen, that night the pain came back with avengence. Rushed to a & e at 10.30pm and was in theatre 3.30am Tuesday 3rd January for a salpingectomy through my previous c-section incision where they found the pregnancy on my stomach which is what had been causing me all the pain. I'm now 13 days post surgery and feeling "OK" but I'm Scared at the thought of trying again because if that goes wrong Iv not got another chance!

Dr's have said wait 3 months which will be May but my periods are very very irregular (but I'm very fertile) should I wait for 3 periods or wait for the 3 months to try?

Thanks in advance xx

EPT Host 20

Re: Trying again

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Rachel13,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
While there is no clear, researched evidence on how long a woman should wait to try to conceive after having treatment for ectopic pregnancy, we and other medical professionals advise you wait for at least three months or two full menstrual cycles (periods) before trying to conceive for both physical and emotional reasons.

You have also had methotraxate injections so we would recommend taking a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

Please continue to use the forums for information and support as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Rachel13

Post by Rachel13 »

Thank you so much for your reply it is much appreciated xx

mbars19

Post by mbars19 »

Sorry about your loss! I also had an ectopic pregnancy on 11/18/2016. I was under birth control and after getting sick was given antibiotics and some how I ended up pregnant. I didn't know I was pregnant becausd I was in my period and I started feeling very sick with abdominal pains after the pain went away a week later I started having nauseous so I decided to take a pregnancy test which came back positive. I cried for days because I didn't really plan on the baby but after seeing my husband very happy I was super excited. 2 weeks later I went in for my ultrasound and they didn't find the baby they called it ectopic pregnancy I was rush to the emergency room for surgery I was about 8 weeks pregnant. The surgery lasted about 45 min and luckily my tubes were good just one had a small ruptured but not big enough to be remove. When I was sitting in the hospital bed we me and my husband talk about trying for another baby. So after my surgery on 11/18/16 and after following appointment on 12/15/16 my levels had drop to 0 I was given the OK to start trying for another baby. Which we did and now I am pregnant again 1/24/17. I'm very happy but also scared to have another ectopic so I can't wait to confirm if I'm carrying a good pregnancy. You should talk to your doctor and see how long you need to wait to start trying and let him know you are so once you get your positive test he can track your pregnancy. Good luck!