By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Pain after surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Jjj

Pain after surgery

Post by Jjj »

Preview: Symptoms after surgery

Hi, in the space of a fortnight I have gone from finding out I was pregnant, to being told I was miscarrying to sadly finding out I had an ectopic pregnancy and having surgery to remove it and my Fallopian tube - so quite an emotional roller coaster!
I came out of surgery two days ago and wanted to see if others had experienced the same symptoms as I'm a bit worried.
I'm feeling quite nausous with headaches and occasionally feel spaced out (this usuLly happens just before I need to take my next dose of painkillers). I'm also getting cramps on the side where my tube is still in tact.
I've also noticed ive got a really large blood bruise that runs underneath my belly button between two of the incisions. It's on the opposite side to the tube that was taken out. I didn't notice this in the hospital (there were no mirrors and my stomach is rather large and it's 'tucked' under :( ) and it's quite painful when I bend over and touch it. The doctor looked at me the day after surgery but never mentioned the bruise and my stomach wasn't looked at before I left hospital. I'm a bit worried as its the opposite side to where the tube was taken out. Has anyone else experienced this?
Any help is really appreciated as its all in the early days x

Vickyd

Re: Pain after surgery

Post by Vickyd »

Hi, i know what you mean about a rollercoaster!! For me it all happened within 3 days of finding out i was pregnant to being rushed in for emergency surgery, it all feels like a blur.

Mine happened new years day and i remember having headaches every morning for a week but not feeling nausious or dizzy, i would ring the ward and speak with a dr just to.put your mind at ease and just keep an eye out for a temp incase of infection.

I know for me they made the cuts on the opposite side to wear the EP was so thats probably why you have so much bruising there. I got bruises but they were really yellow, i guess we all bruise different. I wouldnt hesitate to call and ask the dr if you are concerned about anything.

I hope you recover well x

EPT Host 22

Re: Pain after surgery

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Jjj,

I’m so sorry to hear about all you’ve been through in these past few days. My heart goes out to you and I hope I can be of some help.

As these are very early days and you’ve experienced both physical and emotional trauma, it is very important to look after yourself. As you mention, you are feeling the effects of physical recovery and in these days a priority focus needs to be on ensuring that recovery is going well. As you are concerned, it’s worth following up with the hospital or with your GP about the bruise. Sometimes if the bruise is hotter than the rest of the body it could be a sign of infection.

With the nausea and headaches, as it takes time for pregnancy hormone levels to fall you may still be experiencing some pregnancy symptoms. Some pain is normal in recovery, but as it is subjective and you have concern, it's worth being seen by Drs for your peace of mind.

You may want to note down any pain associated with it, when it is more painful, and so on. You can also write down anything that helps the pain including paracetamol, rest, hot water bottle etc and you could discuss your notes with your doctors. These details would help them determine how best manage your symptoms.

Please know that these boards are a safe space for you, and as you recover you are welcome to visit anytime. We are here for you as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

***********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
***********************************************************************************************