By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Recovery period what to expect??

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Kjm3691

Recovery period what to expect??

Post by Kjm3691 »

Hi all,
I just wanted some advise and share my experience as I have found reading everyone else's really helpful.

I am aged 25 and I am 1.5 week post op.
It all started with me having severe pain in my left side and lower back with hot sweats. The pain come on suddenly one Sunday a few weeks back I wasn't aware I was pregnant. The pain lasted approx 1-2 hours.
The pain was unbearable and I have never experienced pain like it. The following day I was fine and thought it might be period pains coming back bad as I always suffer with period pain and had continued my pill for 2 months without a break.

The following day the pain was light but manageable and then dissappeared. Two weeks later on a Sunday again the pain the returned exactly the same way. The following the day I got an appointment with my doctor and as I arrived at the Practise the pain come on again. We did a urine test which said positive for pregnancy and my doc examined my stomach and couldn't feel much but noticed how clammy I was. The pain was increasing and my GP said he thinks it's ectopic and I need to get to hospital immediately.

My mom took me to hospital on the way the pain eased, the hospital was aware I was coming and took me in for blood tests and examined me. After hours of waiting around the doctor said he was sending me home and to return in a few days for a scan as they couldn't fit me in. The doctor advised me it was probably ligaments stretching and to take paracetamol for the pain of it returns.

The next day the pain was back again even worse than before, my mom rang 111 as I was reluctant to return to hospital Aftet what had happened the previous day. They advised me to return to hospital immediately.

After the call I started bleeding, however it wasn't like what you'd expect from a period it was like blood when you cut yourself.

I returned to hospital and was seen by another gynaecologist who was amazing and had me a bed and scan with in the hour. The scan confirmed it was ectopic and I had internal bleeding. Hours later I had surgery and had my left Fallopian tube removed via keyhole laparoscopy.

I am now 1.5 weeks post op, I'm still a little sore externally but mostly internally, I have random pains in various areas over my stomach mostly on the opposite side to the tube I had removed.

I just wanted to know what time period should I expect for a full recovery as I don't want to return to work too early and cause any agrivation to my body. I am still feeling quite exhausted if I do anything . Emotionally I am ok as I wasn't planning for a child however since this happening I have thought about my future of having children a lot more.

Thank you for all your support and to the trust for providing us a platform to help each other xx

Kelly

Felicitymargaretx

Re: Recovery period what to expect??

Post by Felicitymargaretx »

Hi Kelly,

I had my ectopic last weekend and my story is similar to yours although our baby was planned.

I am also having cramp like pains on the opposite side which is strange!

I have also started bleeding, unsure if its period or because of the surgery or something else haha!

Xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Kelly,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Recovery both physically and emotionally is different for everyone but experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task.

Generally we advise that you should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for how ever long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

Regarding returning to work, in general after about six weeks, an employee should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.
A few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that the employee could take on which may entail a change from their usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that the employee could action from home (which may be different from their usual role but still be of use)?

We will be here for any advice you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Kjm3691

Post by Kjm3691 »

Thank you for your support and guidance.
I am visiting my doctors this week to see how much longer they recommend I stay away from work.

Is dizziness and being lightheaded quite normal after the op as I seem to have spells of this daily which I never had before the op.

Many thanks
Kelly xxx