By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

So many questions....

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Mlt53

So many questions....

Post by Mlt53 »

Hello! I have found this forum to be so helpful. This is my first time post, first time pregnant, and first time ectopic.... I think?
Took a box of pregnancy tests on Tuesday, all positive but the lines were very faint. I had been bleeding and had cramps earlier this week which I assumed was AF coming. I went off of BC 6 months ago and am still two-three days off every cycle so didn't think anything of it. When I has 4 days late, Tuesday, I tested and got the positive results.

I called my doctor and told them about the cramps I'd been experiencing for about a week as well as the brown spotting. They advised I come in for an exam Friday. The urine test came in positive and after preforming a pelvic exam recommended blood work and a US. My hcg levels were at 500 and I was about 4w along. The US did not reveal any sac in the uterus but a "mass" in my right tubal area. They want to see me again on Monday to redo blood work. I saw 2 Docs this day, my gyno and another at the clinic who reviewed my US. The doctor I spoke to after the US said it was likely ectopic but that my doctor would review and call me that afternoon with my blood work. When my doctor called she said she couldn't tell what was happening and wanted to retest blood levels on Monday.

My confusion ... what will the blood work tell them Monday? My understanding is that the hcg levels will continue to raise until the shot/surgery. So what will the additional blood work do? I am trying to understand what is happening in my body. I still am experiencing cramps and have started night sweats. No other symptoms. Earlier in the pregnancy I felt nauseous and tired and dizzy but the last few days those symptoms have all gone away. I don't want to wait until my tube erupts in fears of loosing one and having a harder time on the future but feel like I am getting two different messages from the two Drs.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Sherrylee

Re: So many questions....

Post by Sherrylee »

Hello

First of all I'm sorry to read you that you are going through this. I too went through a very similar experience back in may.

I was 6 weeks pregnant then the bleeding started, went for a first scan and they couldn't see a sac but thought they could see a mass.

Had my blood work 3 times before another scan then I was finally told ectopic.

The blood work is confusing at my second blood tests the phone call was so positive and told me the hcg levels were progressing nicely don't worry we will see you next week.

The next week came and within 2 hours I was being told they needed to operate.

I found this info on the website which helped, but it is still confusing when you are in it and no one seems to be telling you what is what.

http://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/diagnosis/
Scroll down to the blood tests bit

Thinking of you and sending my love

X

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Mlt53,
I am so sorry to hear of the difficult and confusing time you are going through.
Unfortunately I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice and I can only give an indication of what procedures and processes are usually carried out here in the UK.

When diagnosing an ectopic pregnancy, doctors use a combination of transvaginal ultrasound scanning and blood tests to check HCG levels. Usually scans take place at around six weeks gestation as there is a reasonable chance of seeing an embryo at around this time.
If scans are inconclusive, doctors would carry out a series of blood tests to check hCG levels to see if the numbers are rising as expected. However, in isolation, hCG tests only provide a part of the picture - declining levels indicate that a pregnancy has ended and will be miscarried. It can also possibly indicate an ectopic pregnancy that is "self-resolving". Also hCG levels rising by less than 66% over 48 hours means it is likely (but not certain) that it is ectopic. If levels rise normally, they suggest the pregnancy is implanted in the uterus. You may see from this that hCG levels only indicate certain possibilities and are not in thmselves a definitive guide. A positive identification of an implanted embryo on a scan is usually needed before a final diagnosis/certainty that the pregnancy has implanted in the uterus. This is possibly the reason why your doctors are waiting until your appointment to carry out scans and tests.

I completely understand that this is such a worrying time and whilst I do not wish to alarm you, if you are experiencing pain which seems unusual and is concerning you, any bleeding, shoulder tip pain, dizziness or feeling unwell, please seek urgent medical advice. It is better to get checked out to be on the safe side.

Please continue to use the forums for information and support from those of us who understand how you feel,
We are all here for you,
Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Mlt53

Post by Mlt53 »

Got more blood work done today. My hcg levels were at 1,300. Not the progress they were looking for. I go back tomorrow for more blood work and another US. Thanks for your input.