By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

3cm mass in right tube near ovary

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
finally_klarity

3cm mass in right tube near ovary

Post by finally_klarity »

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with an ectopic December 31st and had my first mtx shot on January 7th, 2017. My Hcg levels were finally considered negative about 3 weeks ago ( less than 4). I've been having some mild intermittent throbbing pain to my right side where the ectopic was. The pain is less than when I had the ectopic. I had an US done yesterday and MD saw a 3cm mass where my fallopian tube and ovary are. Given the cancer screening tests for ovarian cancer are negative and the timing of the pain with ectopic, MD said most likely its left over tissue and to have a scan in 6 weeks to see if its shrinking. She thinks the body with absorb it.

Has anyone else experienced a mass? I mean, how common is this? I was looking forward to TTC again. I so want another baby and it feels like this event is dragging in my life. She said it may take longer than 6-8 weeks to resolve. Just so devastated and saddened. This just sucks.

Tere

Re: 3cm mass in right tube near ovary

Post by Tere »

Hi,
After my ectopic pregnancy (treated with MTX) the ectopic mass was still visible after 3 weeks of hcg levels < 5. It is normal. It could take weeks or months to be reabsorbed or it may not be reabsorbed and block the tube. I was told that As soon as I do not have pain I should not be worry for the mass. Nevertheless, you should take folic acid once your hcg levels are < 5 for at least 3 months before trying TTC.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear finally_klarity,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,

With methotrexate treatment, when the pregnancy is ended, the whole pregnancy sac including any cells that might have eventually grown into a baby is usually reabsorbed by the mother. This happens because it is our own DNA and cellular material. In some cases, the Fallopian tube may remain blocked which can take some time to shrink and occasionally it may not shrink and may leave a blockage as a small cyst. However the use of methotrexate does not reduce the chances of a successful pregnancy. It may offer some comfort to know that around 65 per cent of women are healthily pregnant within 18 months of an ectopic pregnancy and some studies show that around 85 per cent of women are pregnant within two years.
This ‘reabsorption’ can take weeks and sometimes months to be complete. I am afraid it can be difficult to be precise because our bodies are all unique and we respond differently physiologically with what is happening.

As Tere has kindly mentioned, can I gently remind you that following Methotrexate, you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

More2come

Post by More2come »

Hi i too am experiencing a lingering mass after 1 does of methotrexate 1 month ago.

At your follow had your mass resolved?
How long did it take to resolve?