By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Physical recovery after eptopic surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
bobbymac

Physical recovery after eptopic surgery

Post by bobbymac »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on when my gf could start doing light physical activity and exercise after surgery? She had surgery last week and is going to be off work for at least 4 weeks, but she is stuck at home and would like to start doing some light exercise at home to distract herself a little. We are living in Vietnam so it is harder to get exact advice from the hospital and we would like to know what other women who have experienced this did after surgery.

Thanks so much.

brokenheart91

Re: Physical recovery after eptopic surgery

Post by brokenheart91 »

I had surgery 11days ago and had my right fallopian tube removed, the doctor advised me no exercise for two weeks and then you can start gentle exercises, although not too strenuous for six weeks until fully recovered. I hope this helps and I'm sorry for your loss. All the best x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear bobbymac,
I am so sorry to hear of the difficult time you are both going through and will do my best to help.
Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and your girlfriend is in the early stages of recovery. Her body needs time to heal from surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. You have both also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.

Generally we advise that she should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Her body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and she needs to be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day maybe ok and the next maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for how ever long she needs. It is important she listens to her body's signals and pain and feeling tired are the body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once her wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

With surgery, please allow time for your body to heal internally after the invasive procedure. If you had keyhole surgery, she could start gentle exercise within two weeks of the operation. If she had open surgery then she should wait six weeks for her abdomen to heal.
When resuming exercise, activities like gentle walking or swimming are usually safe as long as the wounds are healing as these are non-impact sports.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions, we are all here for you both,
Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

el-cee

Post by el-cee »

Yeah I would just echo what others have did here - just lots of rest for now. The wounds may be healing up on the surface but there's still a lot of healing and settling to go on inside. If she's only a week after her op, I'd say she's still needing to rest a lot. Took me well over a week before I could lie on my side again in bed without any discomfort.

I asked the doc when I was still in hospital about exercise and they basically said nothing for about a month at least. I play hockey and cricket so I was desperate to know when I could get back to training. It's very frustrating, but just have to use this time to rest and let the body recover.

Everyone is different of course, but just don't push too much. Some short walks in a couple of weeks maybe. It is frustrating - as a sporty person I am struggling with being patient! So I understand if she's bored. But just have to be patient.

Sares

Post by Sares »

Hi,

I never thought I'd post on here but here we go. I am currently living in Singapore and sadly four weeks ago had keyhole surgery to remove the pregnancy and my left fallopian tube.

The tropics add another layer to healing and you have to be very careful about infections as they just happen in thr humidity. I got one and had to take antibiotics, apply a powder and it slowed down the process of healing a lot. Still fpur weeks later my belly button leaks a bit of fluid. Gross, sorry. My doctor has recommended I wait to do any exercise beyond stretching until my first period. He said you have to to slowly and trust your body again and gentle yoga like stretches daily was best.Once your body has your first period then you can push it a bit more physically. He also said I should only leave my house for two hours a day and be resting in aircon when I am not at home.

Being so far from home, a medical system I understand and family support have been difficult for my husband and I. Luckily self care like massages are so available here and I'm now at the four week recovery mark so the dr has said go ahead with those as they will help mentally and physically.

Id be happy to connect with her if she wants to!

nickierbecca

Post by nickierbecca »

Having an ectopic pregnancy can be a very traumatic experience for anyone. Understanding the causes, and consequences of an ectopic pregnancy are the first step to recovery. It takes at least 10-15 days for recovering.

Natural healing