By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

After surgery question

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sh23

After surgery question

Post by Sh23 »

Hello ! First time posting to this board but I've been reading over and over for the past 7 weeks since my ectopic ordeal began!

I had my "right tube" removed 8 days ago. Today I have started having similar pain in my bottom that I had when I had internal bleeding which led to the emergency surgery (after 2 doses of MTX over 3 weeks)....

I am so anxious that something is happening again, and then I realised my surgery wounds (3) are located in the belly button, the 2nd one under the belly button slightly to the right, and the 3rd one on the very left hand side.

Does this sound correct given I was supposed to have the right tube removed? And the wound is on the left?

I feel so let down by the hospital and there is seemingly no after care. I don't even have a letter stating what operation I had. I am so anxious right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks :( SH

Sh23

Re: After surgery question

Post by Sh23 »

Hello me again, I guess I just want to know if you had your tube removed.... where your wounds after surgery were, and what side tube you had removed.... Thank you!

Melissa1987

Post by Melissa1987 »

Hiya

Sorry you are feeling so awful. I'm coming up 4 weeks post surgery and just starting to feel better! I had my right tube removed and my incisions are where yours are. On the left, belly button and middle ish by my pant line. I think it must give them a better angle. I have been so very anxious and paranoid about every twinge and pain, but have felt more relaxed the last few days. I have had some pain in my bottom area to, it has been quite uncomfortable to push when going to the toilet. Is this what you are feeling? My Gp didn't appear to worried and it is getting better as the days go past.

Mel x

Sh23

Post by Sh23 »

Hello Mel
Thank you for replying!! I feel so relieved to hear the wounds are in the same spot! I started to panic they took the wrong tube out and I would go through it all again.

I think I am also panicking at everything because it was so traumatic. I might have to get some counselling because I don't want to feel like this anymore.

Yes, I have had pain going to the toilet, and I was very constipated, so I took some Movicol drink (was vile) and 2 hrs later I was on the loo. And then again another 2 hrs later lol. But today I woke up with that pressure feeling when you need to go to the loo but it hurts a bit, but when I try it nothing comes. Perhaps I'm constipated again? I've never had toilet img issues so unsure if this is just normal for constipation after surgery. Sorry for too much info!

Have you been able to do any exercise since surgery?? And when did you start sleeping on your side?? I'm dying to but so far it has been sleeping propped up on pillows and it's not letting me sleep much that way...

Thanks so much for replying xxx

JennyRen

Post by JennyRen »

Hi Sh23

I'm 6 weeks post key-hole surgery where I had my left tube removed. I have 4 incisions; in my belly button, by my underwear line and also on either side - this was because whilst I had the left tube removed, they checked my right tube/ovary was healthy before doing this (the drs said they wouldn't remove my left tube if there was any damage/problems to the right one) so I assume they will have done the same for you?

I hope this helps to reassure you some but if you're unsure or worried, don't worry about contacting the hospital. When I was discharged, the note I was given had the number of the ward I was on and I was told that if I had any worries to give them a call.

I also had problems going to toilet but this was partly down to the medication (Co-codamol) which I had to stop taking. I'm pretty much healed physically but still very up and down - if you can get counselling to talk things through that might be really helpful. I had my first session yesterday and whilst it's been very upsetting, I'm hopeful that it's the start on the road to recovery.

It managed to start sleeping on my side/stomach in the third week. I was very nervous about catching any of the stitches but felt more myself after a better nights sleep.

Previously I did lots of running, but had to stop so have felt a bit lost but have been told to start off gently with walking and building myself back to the point where I can start running again. I might even give yoga a go if it keeps me active.

I don't know if it'll help at all, but I've had a couple of reiki sessions which have helped me relax a bit.

Sending you lots of love

Jen xxx

Melissa1987

Post by Melissa1987 »

I started sleeping comfortably on my side at around the 3 week mark. Before that I was exactly the same as you, propped up with about 5 pillows! Anything else really hurt. I haven't attempted exercise yet and don't think I will for a while for fear of hurting myself.

It's so traumatic, by far the scariest thing that's ever happened to me! For a good week or so after surgery I had panic attacks, mainly waking suddenly at night, but the day after I was discharged I went very pale, faint and shortage of breath. I ended up back in hospital as they were worried about a blood clot, which luckily it wasn't! I think it was panic. Before this I never suffered from any kind of anxiety, let alone panic attacks! Thankfully this seems to have stopped now and I'm worrying less each day.

I guess we just have to try and stay positive and hope this doesn't affect what happens in the future xx