By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic with Methotrexate - When will it end?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Nlynn

Ectopic with Methotrexate - When will it end?

Post by Nlynn »

I found out that our pregnancy was ectopic 4 days after a positive test. Determining what was wrong was a roller coaster ride of unknowns and hope.
I received the methotrexate injection on April 6th and did not expect to still be going through this.
I asked the OBGYN when we could TTC and the response was simply "after you have had a complete cycle". There was no indication that it would take a long time for my HCG to reach zero in order to have a normal cycle.
It is now almost 9 weeks later and my HCG is still above 0.
I understand that everyone is different but I was not prepared to endure weekly blood tests for this length of time or the 5 weeks of bleeding.
Now that the spotting has stopped I am hopeful that my HCG will be closer to 0 but the weekly trip to the hospital is a constant reminder of the loss.
Has anyone else experienced this length of time??

EPT Host 22

Re: Ectopic with Methotrexate - When will it end?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Nlynn,

I sorry to hear that you’ve suffered an ectopic pregnancy and loss and that you are going through this worrying time. I’ll do my best to help.

As every woman is different , it is difficult to give an average time of how long it takes for HCG levels to drop. In general, the Trust provides guidance that it is usual to begin to bleed a few days after the injection and this bleeding can last between a few days and up to 6 weeks. As you've mentioned you experienced five weeks.

I know it can be incredibly frustrating to wait for HCG levels to fall. You've been through an emotional and physical ordeal and often, we are eager for daily life to resume as normal. However, it is so very important to look after yourself during this time and especially, before your levels reach under 5mIU/ml.

In regards to trying to conceive, the Trust advises couples to wait at least two full menstrual cycles or three months before trying to conceive again. This is to allow time for your body to heal and emotions to surface and be worked through. During methotrexate treatment, it is not advised to take folic acid as to enable the drug to work (it is a folate antagonist). However, once your levels are at non-pregnant levels you’ll want to resume taking folic acid. It is recommended to take folic acid for at least 12 weeks prior to conception.

Please do take good care of yourself and as you are concerned it is important to be seen by your Dr’s for peace of mind.

With good wishes,

Michele

********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
******************************************************************************************

Charlottex85

Re: Ectopic with Methotrexate - When will it end?

Post by Charlottex85 »

Hi I know how you feel I went for around 8/9 weeks for bloods before my levels went to 0. I did find that when I stopped spotting my level went to 0. Hope your ok. X