By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Missing ovary discovery, six years later

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
CrossingFingers

Missing ovary discovery, six years later

Post by CrossingFingers »

Six and a half years ago, my first pregnancy was ectopic. It ruptured at ten weeks, and resulted in surgery to remove my left fallopian tube (or so I thought). I have since had a son, who is five and a half, and last week discovered I am pregnant again. This morning, I had an early scan to rule out ectopic pregnancy, and I am pleased to say that all seems well with the pregnancy, which is a relief. :)

But... I have been given a bit of a bombshell.

This morning I found out I am also missing an ovary. Presumably, this was removed along with my fallopian tube when I had surgery for the ectopic.

NOBODY EVER TOLD ME!

I was definitely never told in hospital that my ovary was removed. I've also subsequently had another pregnancy with multiple scans. I've managed to get through six and a half years without ever knowing my ovary was removed.

I don't know why it was removed (as it isn't standard procedure with an ectopic pregnancy, and it wasn't back then in 2011). I don't know the short or long-term repercussions of only having one. I'm now second-guessing whether some of my mood swings and lack of libido over the last six years (which I've always put down to becoming a parent) may in fact be a result of only having one ovary. A little research implies I am at risk of early menopause as a result. All of these things you would think I have a right to know!

I have booked an appointment with my GP on Friday to try and trace my hospital notes to confirm that they surgically removed my ovary. I feel somewhat irrationally upset about this, it brings back some of the hurt over my initial ectopic pregnancy, even though I am pleased about my current pregnancy. I'm just gobsmacked at this discovery.

EPT Host 20

Re: Missing ovary discovery, six years later

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Crossingfingers,
Congratulations on your pregnancy.
I can understand you feeling shocked about your news and I am sorry to hear that you weren't told at the time.
You have done the correct thing in making an appointment to discuss this with your GP. You can also contact the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) within the hospital that this happened. They are an impartial service and may also look into this for you.

We are here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
********************************************************************************************

CrossingFingers

Re: Missing ovary discovery, six years later

Post by CrossingFingers »

Thank you, Karen. I used to be a regular on these boards, they got me through some hard times, I can tell you! Don't know what I would have done without them.

I went to see my GP this morning to try and trace my notes. None of my release notes directly from the hospital are on the system. However, the only documentation on file at the surgery refers to "salpingooophorectomy" (the spelling mistake is exactly as it appears on file. It should say "salpingo oophorectomy" and means removal of fallopian tube and ovary). This letter was generated by my previous GP practice, not the hospital, so I still can't be 100% sure it is reliable (particularly in view of the spelling error).

He says it does look most likely, in view of the only documentation on the system referring to ovary removal, as well as the missing ovary on the scan, that I do only have one. He will attempt to trace my hospital notes to establish whether it is documented in them.

It was a male doctor, and although he was pleasant enough and agreed to help me trace my hospital notes, he more or less made it clear that in his view it was not such an issue because one remaining ovary will compensate for the removed one hormonally, and it hasn't affected my fertility. While I take his point, I still feel upset that nobody told me. That apparently my ovary was/is considered such a worthless part of my body that it wasn't even worth mentioning. I am upset that my ectopic pregnancy is still having unexpected repercussions six and a half years on. It prevented me from ever relaxing to enjoy my last pregnancy, and is still hanging over this one. I feel so angry about it, even though so much time has passed, to then be presented with another bombshell.