By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic after coil

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sasa boo

Ectopic after coil

Post by Sasa boo »

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and don't usually contribute to forums. However, i have just experienced an ectopic pregnancy and would like to enquire if anyone else has had the same following removal of the contraceptive coil?

I had the copper coil inserted eight years ago. It was due to be removed this october but in May it came out spontaneously. I went to the local women's clinic in June with the intention of having a new coil fitted. The doctor at the clinic asked me to wait another three weeks instead as this would be the most optinal time in terms of my cycle. I was fully checked over and had a negative pregnancy test. My next appointment would be 25th July.

Following my appointment i started experiencing light bleeding. This appears to be common in ectopic pregnancI and blood was brownish in colour. The bleeding persisted but was light and i ignored it. Two weeks ago however i had to leave work ealy due to strong cramps. Most of my pain was in my right groin at this time. I visited my gp that afternoon and got a locum. The gp focused on the fact that i had had the issue with the coil and said this pain was probably normal. He didnt test anything and sent me home. I didnt feel listened to so i just went home to rest and Saturday i carried on as normal. Saturday night i woke up in accute pain. Pain was in my groin and stomach with cramps similar to labour. This lasted four hours. My husband wanted me to go to hospital but i was considering what the gp had said and thought it must be normal. On Sunday, to satisfy my husbands concern i went to an out of hours clinic. My urine was tested for infection and i was sent on my way, again having been told this pain was related to the removal of my coil.

The following week i had small bouts of pain and lots of spasms in my vagina and rectum ( apparently common with ectopic).

This saturday i had been okay all day but then pain started out of no where. Pain, spspas, inability to urinate and i felt light headed. At this point i told my husband to go get me a pregnancy test because we had ruled out infection and i found it strange that almost two month post coil i was suddenly having this pain. The test came back positive and i knew instantly this must be ectopic. I had been googling symptoms and reading forums whilst waiting for the test and i appeared to tick every box.

I took myself to a and e and was promptly admitted to the early pregnancy unit. On Monday i had a scan and my uterus was clear but my right falopian tube and ovary was swollen. I later spoke with the registrar who said things were still inconculsive. She advised that the swelling could be due to past infection and i was worried i was going to be sent home. The registrar advised i needed a hcg test and if my bloods had significantly dropped it would be presumed that i was experiencing an early miscarriage.

My test came back and they hadn't quite doubled but hadn't dropped enough to suggest misscarriage. I saw another dr whom informed me that i needed exploratory surgery.

I had the surgery tuesday afternoon and the pregnancy was ectopic. They removed my right tube and ovary. The pain post op was horrendous. I have had back surgery before but this was awful. They couldnt manage my pain and i had a cocktail of drugs before being sent back to the ward.

This morning i spoke with the surgeon who advised i had two slight ruptures in my fallopian tube which accounts for the pain and my swollen abdomen. Apparently had i left it another few days it would have fully ruptured.

I am so lucky to have three children already but my first pregnancy some years ago resulted in miscarriage. I remember thinking i would never have a baby and the devestation of it all.

I have been reading constantly in hosptial and i have come across a number of forums that talk about ectopic pregnancy after having the coil removed. Some women whom have had two ectopics or ectopic and multiple miscarriage. Never was i warned that the risk of ectopic was still present once the coil was out. I don't necessarily want more children but i think women who have the coil before they have completed their families ought to be aware of the potential risk. Maybe it is the case that i have been reading very specific threads but i would be interested to hear if other women have had a similar experience to mine or if anyone knows of any research in this area.

Thanks

EPT Host 20

Re: Ectopic after coil

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Sasa boo,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I like many women searched for answers as to why I experienced an ectopic pregnancy and sadly like so many answers can never be found.
The information on our website states that a copper coil can be an increased risk factor for ectopic pregnancy but whilst I am not medically trained, I believe this is when the device is in place, where as from the information you have provided, it appears you sadly experienced your ectopic pregnancy once it had been removed.
We have further information on risk factors here-
https://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/rea ... pregnancy/

I have understand what a difficult time you have been through and I send warm hugs and much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Sasa boo

Re: Ectopic after coil

Post by Sasa boo »

Thank you Karen. I guess i am just searching for a why. I am shocked by how distressing this experience has been. I am healing physically though so that is a positive. I appreciate your reply

S xx