By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

My Eptopic pregancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Jaz

My Eptopic pregancy

Post by Jaz »

Hi all,
Sorry for the long post, I hope I can raise awareness from my post and help others.

Im 2 weeks into recovering from my Eptopic pregnancy which ruptured.

It all started at the beginning of February when we finally got a positive pregancy test. My husband and I got married in August and had been trying to concieve since then.

From the start I knew somthing was not right and I told my husband not to get to excited, the day after i took the test I began to bleed. This lasted around 4 days , I phoned my doctor who said to me that he suspected i had misscarried. We cried . I was sad but i was ready to except this and move on, I was just happy that we could concieve and together we could get through this.

I coutinued to have brown discharge and again started to bleed on and off. I continued to work and focused on this to get me through. This lasted 3 weeks until the Wednesday I knew somthing was not right. I had had niggling feeling on my left side for a few weeks but thought it was from the exercise classes I had been doing. This pain this evening was diffrent. I managed to get a out of hours doctors appoitment, the doctor sent me to A and E after doing no tests as he said there was nothing he could do.
I must not at this time I believed I had miscarried and had no knowledge of eptopic pregancy. Due to the fact I had been told not to read to much into my symptoms online. I kind of wish I had now.
My blood were tested in A and E where they confirmed I was still pregant my mum and myself where shocked and confused. I was sent up to the early pregancy unit where the gynocologist said my cervix where still closed. We where sent home and asked to return for a scan the next day. I went home to my husband very confused. My husband and myself returned the next day I still had the niggling pains in my left side and I was atill bleeding. I was given an internal and external scan where they told me my womb was empty, our hearts sank. They told me there was some shadowing behind my womb but they suspected it was my bowel, call me stupid but we took this as gospel I mean the nurses and doctors do this every day. They sent us on our way after a big speal about misscarriage and how sad it is.
I was asked to return 48hr later to check my hormone levels where going down. By now this was Saturday! My husband went off to work and my mum drove me to the hospital. Im not one to make a fuss of complain of pain but this morning my left side was really painful. I held it as my mum drove to the hospital. We went up to the unit where they took my bloods. I asked the nurse if i could see a doctor but she refused saying I needed to wait for my bloods and sudjested I went to get some breakfast. During this time the pain was unbearable I collapesed on the floor of a and e after my mum had sudjested we go for a walk. she pushed me in a wheelchair back to the early pregancy unit where they very quickly re scanned me and examined me . I cant even explain the pain I was in I couldn't lay down all I wanted to do was be in the fetal position on the cold floor, I was so hot and thirsty but they couldnt give me fluid. They confirmed it was eptopic and I fainted on the floor. An emergency theatre was opened for me and I told my mum I was going to die.
My poor mum and husband who had to leave work waited for me during my time in theatre I lost half the blood in my body and my left tube. I remember waking up it was sureal. I never imagined this happening to me a healthy 27year old who had done everything right to concieve.
The recovery process has been hard. From the bloating after surgery to the sheer pain of loosing not only a tube but my baby.
I would have been 8 weeks and 5 days.
Each day gets easier and the love from my family and friends has been amazing but i cant help but be scared for my next pregancy if i do concieve again. Other than a wife the one thing i have always wanted to be is a mummy :-(

ooncb

Re: My Eptopic pregancy

Post by ooncb »

Hi Jaz,
I am so sorry to hear what's happened.
I know how you feel. Your story is a bit like mine.
I got married in Oct 2014. We wanted to try straight away and we got pregnant. I found out on the 2nd December. The following day I started bleeding. I went to my doctor. He said a lot of women get periods while pregnant. He told me I was over stressing. The bleeding lasted seven days. About four days later I had really bad shoulder pains and abdominal pain. I went back to doctor and he took bloods. I never suspected an ectopic. I had never even heard of it.
The following morning I started bleeding again. We went straight to a and e. I was scanned and they told me my womb was empty. I had a shadow on my right side. It turns out my right tube ruptured and my tube was removed.
I waited until I had two periods to start trying again and we fell pregnant in March 2015. I have a beautiful two year old son.
You will get pregnant. Don't try until you feel mentally and physically ready. It's so stressful waiting for your scan.
I hope you feel better soon. You are grieving and it's natural.
Take care xx

Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Hey
Thanks so much for your reply its so nice to hear there was a happy end to your story. Its a hard time but i do think it will begin to get easier.
xxx

sianus178

Post by sianus178 »

Hi ladies,

I'm sorry we're all going through this.
I am four weeks post laparoscopy, had my baby and right tube removed before this I had a miscarriage. I am blessed with an amazing 4 year old son though.

I'm struggling to cope as two of my closest friends have announced their expecting. I want to feel happy for them but mostly I feel sad.

Also my period has yet to return, I was always 32 days. How long did it take for your period to return. I want to start trying again as soon as I can.

Sending love
Xxx

Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Hey so so sorry to hear whats happened to you i can defiantly relate to your story. Like you lots of my friends have new babys or are pregant. Its so so hard but i guess we just need to keep focused , it will happen to us
Your actchully further along than I am, Ive read that it can take around 6 weeks for your period to return but i guess every bodys diffrent.
Look after yourself and dont be afraid to be sad or cry,what we have been through it very traumatic.
Take care

Elephantapple

Post by Elephantapple »

Hi Jaz and everyone,

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened, and I admire you for writing your experience in detail as I also believe this issue really needs to be raised.

I had an ectopic pregnancy in November 2017 and had my left tube removed. My story is a bit like yours - at 4 weeks I tested negative on home pregnancy tests, while I had very clear symptoms of pregnancy. At 5 weeks I started to bleed, at which point I contacted my GP. She said it was likely a period since the pregnancy test was negative. I found it hard to believe as I had all the symptoms (sore breasts, backache, runny nose), but she didn't listen. Bleeding stopped after 3 days, and I begged them to give me a beta HCG test. The test revealed that my HCG was rising. I specifically raised my concern that it might be an ectopic, but was told that because I wasn't bleeding severely or experiencing severe pain, it wasn't ectopic. My local EPU said the same and refused to give me a scan. We had to pay for 3 scans privately, when it finally revealed a live ectopic with a heartbeat. I had an emergency surgery.

Like you, I feel very frustrated. It could not have been prevented, but I was aware of the possibility of ectopic, which they just brushed it off. I also got the feeling both GPs and EPUs don't have much knowledge of ectopic. I should also have been given beta HCG blood tests earlier. I later learned that HCG rises slowly in the case of ectopic, and had they been aware of this and offered the blood test, they would have caught it early. I also wonder, even if they deny it, if it had been caught before it developed a heart, I might not have had to lost a tube - who knows. Ectopic is very rare, but the consequence is incomparable to miscarriage, I speak as someone who went through both. Healthcare professionals should know that even if it is very unlikely, they should see if it's not ectopic.

I hope you are well taken care of. It takes time, but now is not forever. xx

Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Elephantapple. I could not agree more, Our story's seem to be so common . It worrys me that nurses and doctors still just brush eptopic pregancys under the carpet when they are potentially life threatening! more awareness is needed to stop others going through what we have been through.
Not only is it horrific for us its is also heartbreaking for our partners who witness the pain as well.
Im so sorry you have experienced a misscarriage as well my heart goes out to you . Ive found this website so helpful during this sad time. x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Jaz,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.

The chances of a further ectopic after a first in UK is 10%. So that's 90% chance of the embryo being in right place next time.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.
Importantly early scans avail. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks and remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away.

There is no time frame for how long it takes us to heal emotionally and it is completely normal to feel anxious about the future. We will never forget our pregnancy or babies but we can learn to accept what has happened and crucially understand that it wasn't our fault.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Todays been another hard day...
I found out that a friend of ours is expecting, every one has know since i was in hospital but not told me. i didnt relise how hard this would be, the baby is due when ours would be which makes it so much harder.
I also went to a 1st birthday party and during conversations people made comments like 'are you not broody ' ' when are you going to have chirldren "
i feel like ive been so strong but hit a brick wall again.

Bld1

Post by Bld1 »

Hey,
I feel the same way as you. I had an eptopic in August 2019 and I didn't even want kids. I didnt think I would be effected like this at all. Now everything I see a child, I cant help but start thinking about everything. I'm so emotional and it's so up and down. Now all my friends are pregnant and I feel like it's a slap in the face. I hope time will heal the way we feel.