By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Expectant Management - Experiences?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
anugpr

Expectant Management - Experiences?

Post by anugpr »

Hi everyone,

My wife has been diagnosed with a tubal pregnancy recently (5w + 2d). Since the HCG levels had dropped from ~1965 to 1135 over 48 hours, doctor recommended Expectant Management. 48 hours later HCG had dropped further to 1008 and we have been asked for another test after 48 hours. There is slight stabbing pain that my wife experiences and it comes and goes often, and some weakness.
I am getting very anxious so wanted to hear from the super strong ladies here about their experiences with expectant management. Is the pain normal? - our doc says it is, since the body is undergoing a natural miscarriage. Also did anyone have the same HCG levels who was managed this way?

Understand that different people might have different speeds of recovery and experiences but just getting anxious here.

Thank you in advance and praying for good health of everyone.

Thanks, AP

EPT Host 12

Re: Expectant Management - Experiences?

Post by EPT Host 12 »

Dear AP

I am sorry to hear of your and your wife’s ectopic pregnancy and the difficult time you are going through.

Usually doctors recommend expectant management with low beta hCG levels - below 1500 Iu/L.

While abdominal pain can be common with expectant management, your wife should report pain to her healthcare team. She has done the right thing in contacting her doctors. While I don’t want to alarm you, pain can be a sign of rupture so it is important for her to be checked out by her doctors. I am not sure where you are located, but your wife is entitled to ask for a second opinion. The pain might be part of the treatment (as difficult as that is) but it is always best for her to get seen by doctors to be on the safe side especially if the intensity increases.

Sending you lots of good wishes
Munira

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

*****************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Spring edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=869 ... 81e6571dc1
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Emmy_g

Post by Emmy_g »

Hi

Firstly, What a fabulously supportive partner. :-)
I unfortunately had surgery for my ectopic as my hcg levels were over 2000 and after 48 hours showed no signs of reducing. The fact your wife's levels are reducing(as required) is a good thing and it sounds like your wife is being monitored closely.
It's a very anxious wait. Trust in the professionals, but trust in your wife's body and feelings. sending so much love x

anugpr

Post by anugpr »

EPT Host 12 wrote:Dear AP

I am sorry to hear of your and your wife’s ectopic pregnancy and the difficult time you are going through.

Usually doctors recommend expectant management with low beta hCG levels - below 1500 Iu/L.

While abdominal pain can be common with expectant management, your wife should report pain to her healthcare team. She has done the right thing in contacting her doctors. While I don’t want to alarm you, pain can be a sign of rupture so it is important for her to be checked out by her doctors. I am not sure where you are located, but your wife is entitled to ask for a second opinion. The pain might be part of the treatment (as difficult as that is) but it is always best for her to get seen by doctors to be on the safe side especially if the intensity increases.

Sending you lots of good wishes
Munira
Thank you Munira - the HCG level is further down to 774 today and the frequency of pain has reduced as well. Hoping this all to be a good sign. Doctor has been excellent in giving us all the support and keeping her under a close observation. Thanks once again for replying :)

Prayers and blessings from India, AP

anugpr

Post by anugpr »

Emmy_g wrote:Hi

Firstly, What a fabulously supportive partner. :-)
I unfortunately had surgery for my ectopic as my hcg levels were over 2000 and after 48 hours showed no signs of reducing. The fact your wife's levels are reducing(as required) is a good thing and it sounds like your wife is being monitored closely.
It's a very anxious wait. Trust in the professionals, but trust in your wife's body and feelings. sending so much love x
Thank you for your kind words Emmy, and sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, I am just being very anxious - waiting is nerve wrecking. Good news is that HCG levels have decreased further to 744 so getting better now.
Praying for your good health and happiness, AP