By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Cervical ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Minimorris66

Cervical ectopic pregnancy

Post by Minimorris66 »

We found out We were pregnant on the 1st of February 2018 and was over the moon so excited, but then 4 days later I started to bleed and I panicked and phoned dan straight away at work and just cried was gutted!!
I went to work and was hoping and praying it would stop, it started to ease but I still phoned the doctor just to get some advice.
My gp rang me back and said it sounds like you are having a early miscarriage it will just go with time but it will be very painful just take paracetamol I said do you need to see me she said no there is nothing I can do you must realise you are a older lady trying for a baby ( I am 39 didn't think that was old !!) may be you should think about going for IVF but you may go through this again, and just literally gave me a lecture on being old and made me feel gutted useless and so upset.
So that evening we were having tea and I went to stand up and felt the blood start to pour out quiet fast and something quiet big come away then I went to walk to the toilet at witch point I went over and couldn't stand up straight, dan was there and cuddled me and managed to get me to the toilet.
That night went to bed hardly slept had tummy cramps couldn't stand up straight and just cried was gutted that that was the miscarriage.
My mum rang me the following day to see how I was and I said in so much pain and can't stand up straight, she was really upset on the phone and said please Karen phone the gp I really think you need to be seen you shouldn't be in this much pain surely, I said after the way I got treated I didn't want to but after a while I did.
A different female doctor rang me back and I explained everything she said I would like to see you can you be down here within the hour, so I made my way down and she done blood pressure, temperature and then wanted to feel my tummy which was very painful, she then said come and take a seat.
She said I think you are having a ectopic pregnancy and you need to be seen by the hospital now, I just cried even more she printed off some paper work and said go home pack a bag call dan you will need him with you and I will speak to you when I have got through to the hospital.
So started to make my way home and doctor rang and said they are expecting you so make your way up there as quick as you can.
We got to the hospital I had bloods taken blood pressure checked and had to do a water sample, then a internal scan on the early pregnancy unit.
We then got called into see the consultant were he said the womb is empty as expected but something is going on with your left ovary, you can go home but we need you back on Monday morning for bloods to be taken if the hormone levels have gone up on Monday it's a ectopic pregnancy on the left ovary if they have gone down you have had a miscarriage but we will need to check the left ovary again.
So we went home worried to what was going to happen.
I had bloods taken on the Monday and the midwife said give us a ring after 3pm to see what the results are, so my parents came home with me and waited to see what the results were, it got to 12.30 and my mobile rang it was the midwife she said Karen we need you to come back to the hospital for 2pm as your hormone levels have more than doubled and we need to carry out another scan just incase we have missed anything can you come with a full bladder, so my mum and dad said may be it was twins and one is still alive in there growing away quiet happy I was hoping and praying they were going to be right.
So my mum came with me to the hospital the midwife started to do my scan and said I just hope I have missed something Karen has there is a strong pregnancy in here some were, then another midwife came in and they were both looking and whispering she said ok can you go and empty your bladder we need to do a internal scan.
So after having two big wee's I went back in both midwives were looking at the screen and whispering and I just knew there was something wrong.
She said ok Karen you can sit up now and one midwife went out of the room and the other one put her hand on my leg and said Karen I am so so sorry you are having a cervical ectopic pregnancy and the baby can't stay were it is it is to dangerous to you, I just cried and looked at my mum who was crying and cuddling me I said I don't understand, she said let me show you so I seen it on the screen.
I got taken to a side room were my mum cuddled me and we just cried she kept saying it's going to be ok!!
Then a consultant came in and said I am so so sorry Karen I need to go through a few things with you.
We need to act quickly because it could rupture I was so scared, he said we need to do some blood tests to make sure your liver is functioning ok if everything is ok we will need to give you a methotrexate injection which will kill the cells and stop the pregnancy, he said it can't stay were it is it is very dangerous for you.
He asked if I have had any children I said no this would of been our first he said ok, so if this ruptures or if when you bleed and you bleed out and we can't stop the bleeding we will have to do a hysterectomy but he said that's the last thing I want to do as you don't have any children, I just couldn't take everything in and thought it was all just a dream.
So he said you will need some stuff from home as you will be staying for 3 days as we will need to keep a close eye on you, then I got taken straight down to the ward and had my own room.
Mum stayed with me until dan came up with all my stuff and I just cried all over dan I was gutted for us both.
That evening I had the injection in to my bottom which bloody hurt loads.
On the third day I got taken up to early pregnancy unit were the doctor wanted to do another internal scan were he then said the babies heart beat as stopped and I just remember thinking and feeling really bad like I have let them kill our baby, and cried even more but felt really bad having to tell dan that the babies heart beat had stopped.
I was allowed to go home on complete rest but if the bleeding gets heavier or the pain gets worse day or night I have to go straight back to the ward.
Then we went back to have bloods taken on the Friday day 4, got told to ring after 3pm, but the mobile rang again about 12.30 and the midwife said Karen I am really sorry but your hormone level as gone up another 550 so we need you back here for 2.30pm were you will have another methotrexate injection.
So dan and I went back up again another injection in both bum cheeks but this time I was allowed to go home, then back again 4 days later for more bloods which had finally started to come down a little, she said we will need you back every Friday until the hormone levels are down to 15 which was going to be a long time as it was 15,500.
After a week I started to get a lot of pain and cramps spoke to hospital and they said you now have colic because of the injection so no fruit or vegetables, then week 5 of still bleeding no fruit or vegetables I started to feel really light headed and unwell, so the nurse said we will take extra blood to do some more checks.
Then I found out I am anemic as well as everything else I just wanted to give up I have had enough of feeling awful the pain and bleeding, but dan kept me going and was so supportive the whole way through.
So I got put on iron tablets twice a day, my levels came down to 18 after about 6 or 7 weeks and the bleeding started to ease.
I then had a letter from the hospital to say I had to have another scan to make sure the sack had gone and to check what was going on with the left ovary, so mum came with me.
The man said to me Karen when are you seeing the consultant I said the 9th of may he said he may call you in earlier I said why what's going on, he said the sack is still there and your left ovary as hemorrhaged I just started to cry I said what happens now he said you need to be very careful as this can still rupture and the consultant will explain everything.
I knew something was wrong as I am still in pain in my left side just gutted!!
So I have my appointment to see the consultant on this Wednesday 9th may and I am so worried and scared don't know what's going to happen next.
I get so annoyed when people just say I am so sorry you can try again, I don't want to be thinking like that at the moment when it's still there and everything I am going through it as put me off completely at the moment.
Then you get people who say oh you are still not well when I had a miscarriage i got over it so quickly and started to try again.
I can't just get over it as people keep telling me I am so emotionally and physically drained and can't just move on when I am still in pain and it's still there why don't people understand!!
I have been given sick notes since the beginning of February and my boss was not to bad so I started to just to some computer work at home for him just to help, but then he started to get a bit funny with me and the doctor just keeps putting me sick still now but I have been down work a few times for a few hours just to help but he is being so nasty with the comments and remarks I get from him, I am trying my best but I don't think he is very grateful as I am meant to be sick still at home resting what more can I do!!
I don't think I could of gone through this with out dan he's been brilliant so helpful and understanding but I still feel really bad for him that I let them kill our baby !!
Our parents have been so helpful and supportive, I am so glad I listened to my mum because if I didn't there may of been a chance I wouldn't be here now, has it would of kept growing and then it could of ruptured and killed me.
I just feel so ill still and still cry and get so tired.
I have been reading lots on here for a couple weeks now and only just built up the courage to write this ( although I have plenty of tears ATM ) I am so sorry for the essay !!
I was wondering weather there is anyone else on here that is or as gone through what I am going through now?? I know it's very rare as the consultant did tell me.
Please keep your fingers crossed for Wednesday x

EPT Host 12

Re: Cervical ectopic pregnancy

Post by EPT Host 12 »

Dear Minimorris66

I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and the traumatic time you have been through. You are most welcome to express yourself here and share your story. You have endured a lot over the last few months and I am sorry that your boss is not being as supportive as we would have wished. As well as the physical aspects of ectopic pregnancy, there is also a huge amount of emotional healing and you are doing the right thing in speaking to your doctors and taking the time and space you need. It might be worth speaking to your doctor about help that is available in your area which might include support groups for bereavement, grief or pregnancy loss or counselling/talking therapies. Many women (including myself when I had my ectopic pregnancy) use a combination of the Trust's support services alongside professional counsellors.

Please try not to blame yourself for what has happened - as heart-breaking as it is, you had no choice but to have treatment. You rightly say that an ectopic pregnancy can be life-threatening if not treated quickly and it is devastating that you have had to face such a frightening and confusing time.

There is absolutely no reason to rush into trying to conceive again. You are going through a lot at the moment and it is important to give yourself time to heal physically and emotionally. Also doctors say to wait until levels are at non-pregnant and then take folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive so it would be at least around three months. Of course this is a minimum and many women we speak to take longer before even thinking about trying again. Each person's recovery is unique to them and please do not feel pressured by others to feel or behave in a certain way. I will be thinking of you for your appointment today. x

Sending you lots of good wishes

Munira

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust

Registered Charity Number: 1071811

*****************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?

Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk

Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk

We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653

The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Spring edition and subscribe to our mailing list here:
https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=869 ... 81e6571dc1

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team