By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Pregnant again after two ectopics

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Fertility-tales

Pregnant again after two ectopics

Post by Fertility-tales »

Hi all

I found out this morning that I’m pregnant again and I’m completely terrified. I think I’m four weeks pregnant, although the second line on the test was really dark, so maybe I’m a bit further along? I don’t know if it works like that!

I’ve had two ectopic pregnancies, one ruptured my left tube so it had to be removed. The second was on the right, but the surgeon managed to save that tube and he said there was minimal damage because it had already started to abort from the end of the tube.

I’ve been having period like pains for the last week, but more concentrated on the right which is freaking me out. Although it seems to be diminishing a bit now. Has anyone else had that and it was all still ok?

Is anyone else in the two week wait between finding out your pregnant and waiting for an early scan at six weeks?

FT xxx

Beenie

Re: Pregnant again after two ectopics

Post by Beenie »

First of all congratulations!!!
I haven’t been in your situation, I was only treated for my first ectopic 2.5 weeks ago. I just wanted to say I’ll Be thinking of you and crossing my fingers that bub is in the right place this time! Did you get a HSG done after your first?
I know it’s a terrifying wait but stay positive! I had cramping with my first two healthy pregnancies. I’d say it’s a good sign that you have a dark line already as that might be your HCG increasing rapidly! And no spotting/bleeding so far is a god sign too! Sending you lots of love! Xxx

Fertility-tales

Hi Beenie, thank you for your support that’s really kind :)

I haven’t had a hcg yet, just a home pregnancy test. My EPU won’t see me without a referral from my GP and the GP surgery is closed until Tuesday. Not great timing with the Bank Holiday weekend! I’ve got an appointment on Wed so hopefully I can get bloods done then and they’ll refer me for a scan.

I’ll keep you informed!

FT xxx

Beenie

Post by Beenie »

Yes please do! Fingers crossed for good news x

Fertility-tales

Just realised you said HSG and not HCG! No I didn’t have a HSG done after either of my ectopics. My gynaecologist said that because it was a tubal abortion ectopic (so the pregnancy was on the end of the tube rather than in the tube) that it couldn’t’ve caused a blockage so a HSG wasn’t necessary.

Strangely though I did have a HSG done last year because we’d been ttc for 18months with no luck. The HSG came back normal, and I then got pregnant straight away. That was ectopic, and after that we got pregnant straight away again! That was my second ectopic. We started ttc 4 weeks ago and again we got pregnant straight away. I’m sure the HSG must’ve unblocked my tubes or something.

Pain has decreased now. Really hoping baby is in the right place!

Beenie

Post by Beenie »

Thanks for your reply! It’s only my first ectopic but I already think about how I’d manage mentally to ttc again once this ordeal is over.... I feel like i have to do anything possible to prevent another, so probably will also ask to get a HSG done...
How long did you leave it this time to ttc again?
That’s great news that your pains are decreasing. Oh I really really hope for good news for you!!

Hayley1

Post by Hayley1 »

Hi I’m glad I found this site, I literally am at a loss, I came out of hospital day before yesterday having had my left tube removed, I thought I had mc two weeks before but my little one was still there, my hcg was 35000, and they finally started to listen to me and not continue to treat me for gall stones. I left hospital with no information so gathering up what I can from other lovely ppl like you on here. I’m worried for future, I’m 38 and have finally met the love of my life and this has happened. I hope he will want to support me, I never thought I would deal with this, they said I had signs of past inflammation on my tube which could have been the cause. I will want to try again, but how do you cope with the fears xxxxx

Fertility-tales

Beenie - we waited five months. The doctor recommended at least three months (I had a shot of methotrexate after surgery because sadly the surgeon accidentally left a bit of pregnancy tissue behind so my hcg started to rise again). Originally I was determined that we wouldn’t try again naturally but go for IVF because the chance of ectopic is so much lower. Two ectopics in 8 weeks plus a failed surgery to remove all the ectopic was horrifically traumatic and I just couldn’t face risking it again. But slowly I started to change my mind, and I’m glad now that I did.

Even if this pregnancy is ectopic I’m glad that I risked it. I don’t want to look back and think that I didn’t do everything I possibly could to have a baby, so I’m glad we started to try again.

But make sure you take your time to heal. You said it’s only been a couple of weeks, and you need to wait at least 3 months after methotrexate. You’ve been through so much pain and you deserve to give your body and mind a well deserved rest xxx

Fertility-tales

Hayley - I’m so sorry for your loss. The same thing happened to me: my first ectopic was misdiagnosed as a miscarriage. I saw three doctors to say I thought I was still pregnant but I was ignored until eventually I ended up in A&E when my tube ruptured.

You need to give yourself time to heal before trying again, maybe wait until you feel ready? You got pregnant so I’m sure you could get pregnant again. It’s really scary trying again, but I think the chance of another ectopic is around 10%-20%, so whilst you’d still need to be vigilant it’s much more likely bub would be in the right place.

Good luck xxx

Hayley1

Post by Hayley1 »

Hey ft, thankyou for your words, they are reassuring, our stories of misdiagnosis are so similar, it’s like you have to be so aware and follow instincts. I was the same and mentioned to consultant I’d try ivf to lessen the risk but he seemed very confused and said the risk would be the same. I think you are brave and i have verything crossed for you for this week, hope everything is fine for you too xxxxx

Hayley1

Post by Hayley1 »

I’m going to wait a while to let my body heal as I wouldn’t want to rush after this xxx

Beenie

Post by Beenie »

Yes I will definitely wait at least the three recommended months! I will definitely need this time to be not only physical but also mentally ready to ttc again!
You’ve been through so much! I found my experience very traumatic and I ‘only’ got the MTX treatment. It will be a very scary time should I ever get another BFP but as you said I don’t ever want to look back and regret not haven’t tried one more time.... xx

Fertility-tales

I had a scan today and they saw a gestational sac in the right place!!!! I can't believe it!

No yolk sac or fetal pole yet, but they said they wouldn't realy expect to see this at 5 weeks. And they're being really cautious (apparently you can have a pseudo-sac from an ectopic and it's impossible to tell the difference at this early stage) but it's looking really positive! We're over the moon!

HCG came back at 2,144 which again is a good sign.

Another scan booked in next Thursday so hopefully should see more.

Thank you for your support guys xxxxx

Beenie

Post by Beenie »

Oh yeeeey!!! That’s amazing news. Oh my, I’m so so so happy for you, you’ve no idea!! Finally some good news here. Oh this is so exciting! Please keep me updated on your journey! Xxx

Fertility-tales

Thank you Beenie, that’s really kind. I even have pretty bad pains on my side, but they’ve said it’s the cyst from where I ovulated. Just can’t believe it!

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Fertility-tales,
I am very pleased to be reading this and I am sending warm hugs and positive thoughts,
Much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Fertility-tales

Thank you Karen. I’m so happy! Xxx

Hayley1

Post by Hayley1 »

Congratulations that’s great news xxxx

Fertility-tales

Thanks Hayley. Also, meant to say on your previous point on IVF risk - yes I’m not sure how much difference it makes if you’ve had one ectopic. I *think* the risk of ectopic for any woman who’s had IVF is around 5%, and the risk from natural conception is 10-20%. So I think it’s a bit less risky, but not hugely. But because I had two ectopics my risk of ectopic from natural conception was much higher (50%) so originally we were planning to have IVF.

I have everything crossed for you xxx

Beenie

Post by Beenie »

Fertility Tales. I’m thinking of you, hoping your scan today goes well!!