By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Possible ectopic looking for advice

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Fimac

Possible ectopic looking for advice

Post by Fimac »

Hi, I’m new to this but really looking to hear if anyone has had a similar experiences.

I just found out that I am 4 weeks pregnant, I had abdominal pain on Sunday went to GP on Tuesday who confirmed pregnant and also that I had a UTI which could explain the pain. I was referred to the early pregnancy assessment unit for a scan yesterday to rule out ectopic pregnancy.

My blood hcg level was 4024 but during multiple scans all that could be found was a large cyst on my left ovary and a possible sac in womb but also possible sac in tube. Consultant was very nice said that she simply did not know if was a normal pregnancy or ectopic, during scan she said she would have expected me to be in severe pain if ectopic and also not to be as well as I am. I’ve had no pain since started antibiotics on Tuesday, but light spotting after scans yesterday. I was kept in last night for observations and a surgeon came this morning and told me if my hcg levels have not doubled tomorrow he will be performing surgery to remove pregnancy.

I feel that this is so early when they can’t see on a scan and I’m not in any pain at all. Has anyone had any experiences similar? I’m so confused and don’t know what to do, I don’t want to be made to do surgery in case they are wrong. Please help

EPT Host 20

Re: Possible ectopic looking for advice

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Fimac,
I am so sorry to hear of the difficult and worrying time you are going through.
Sadly I am not medically trained and as do not have access to your medical records so it is very difficult for me to advise you on this specific situation.

To provide an overview - with a healthy pregnancy, hCG levels typically double every 48-72 hours. If levels rise normally, they can suggest (but not give a certain answer) that the pregnancy is implanted in the uterus. HCG levels that rise by less than 66 per cent over 48 hours can mean the pregnancy may be ectopic. So while hCG levels can rise with an ectopic pregnancy this isn't necessarily at the "normal" rate.
If you are concerned about the treatment being offered, ask for time to talk to the surgeon who would be performing the procedure or a member of the team of doctors.
Write down questions you want to ask and wait until you get the answers. To be able to perform surgery, you need to sign a consent form so ensure you have all you questions answered prior to signing it. It is often helpful to have a family member with you for support at this time to ensure you are happy that you have had all the information you need.
Sadly if you experience pain and bleeding, this can identify an ectopic pregnancy that could possibly be rupturing and sadly surgery is the only method of treatment for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy.

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Fimac

Post by Fimac »

Thank you so much for your reply Karen.

I am definitely taking your advise onboard. I didn’t ask any questions today as think it’s been such a crazy week I was just shocked. I will definitely make sure my husband is with me and that we take the time to make sure all questions are answered.

Thanks again it has really helped
Fiona x

Laura8

Post by Laura8 »

Hi. I had very similar happen to me 3 weeks ago. I was in and out of hospital for 2 weeks with scans and bloods and the unknown. Mine unfortunately ended up being ectopic (second ectopic) I had my only remaining tube removed as it was a rupture. The emotions I’ve had of not knowing and then due to the weeks passing with them not knowing my baby began to grow and had a heart beat at the time of discovery. My tube also ruptured. All of that has made this awful situation so much worse for me. I really do hope yours is a normal pregnancy and that you have your answers by now at least. Good Luck xx

Fimac

Post by Fimac »

Hi. Thankyou for replying back in September Laura this is the first time I’ve logged back on since just haven’t been able to face anything to do with Ectopic and tried to pretend was all normal.
I’m so sorry to hear that you have had 2 ectopic pregnancies. Mine also turned out to be ectopic and tube had ruptured by the time I got taken into surgery so my left tube was removed.
I find it so hard to talk to anyone about what happened, but it’s heart breaking. I think months after I’m finding it harder to deal with and unable to move on. So I can’t imagine what it must be like for you having gone through this twice.
I really hope that things work out for you in the future xx

Laura8

Post by Laura8 »

Ah I’m so sorry it turned out to be ectopic. I hope you are okay and recovering well. If you need to talk to anyone feel free to talk to me. It’s such a lonely thing to go through. Take care xx