By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic pregnancy with copper coil

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Carys111

Ectopic pregnancy with copper coil

Post by Carys111 »

Hello everyone,

This is my first time writing on a forum and I feel very unsure of everything

Lasr Friday (24th August) I found out I was pregnant even though I have the copper coil implanted for over a year. On Sunday I then discovered I am ectopic.

Tuesday 28th - my HCG levels had gone down to 77 from 100, so the doctor advised I let it pass by itself as I have been in little pain and haven't been bleeding for a week.

Today I noticed small amounts of brown blood- just on the tissue and slight period like cramps!

I am worried there has been a change- even though the pain is intermittent and goes away with over the counter medicine!

I am feeling very alone and confused at this time- as obvs I wasn't trying for a baby so I went through complete shock, relief like at knowing it wasn't a viable pregnancy and now I feel absolute heartbroken at what could have been and guilt over everything.

I also feel like I just don't want to leave the house and feel super tired all the time.

I am also worried my tube could still rupture

Sorry for my ramblings! Anyone had a similar story? And words of advice!

With thanks :D

dlm08

Re: Ectopic pregnancy with copper coil

Post by dlm08 »

Hi Carys111,

Last year I had an ectopic pregnancy with a copper IUD. I went to the ER about a week after I found out I was pregnant with slight bleeding and cramps. They weren't able to give me a certain diagnosis, but because it was an unplanned pregnancy, I decided to do an exploratory surgery where they were able to confirm that it was ectopic and remove the pregnancy. You know your body best, so if you are worried about something definitely discuss it with your doctors.

It's strange to feel heartbroken over something you didn't want in the first place...I felt the same way. It is still a traumatic experience and loss that you will need to grieve and I hope you'll allow yourself to do that.

I'll be thinking of you <3

Dana

Kazshuker39

Post by Kazshuker39 »

Hi, i feel very similar to you, i had no plans to get pregnant and had a period at the beginning of july and it was a 'normal' period for me. A week later i had pain in my right hand side and some spotting. I rang the doc and couldnt get an appointment for over a week so i have no idea what made me do one as id had my period but i did a pregnancy test which was positive! Unfortunately following scans and blood tests to measure hcg levels i was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I think they were 1234 at their highest. I opted to have the methotrexate injection rather than surgery and was monitored for 4 weeks, unfortunately when i went i last Thurs for my routine hcg level check at day 28 i happened to mention that i'd had some pain the last few days and was particularly worried as my hcg levels had dropped to 11 and i thought the nightmare was nearly over ..... as soon as i mentioned the pain, they whipped me in for a scan and found i had ruptured and was bleeding internally. I was in surgery within 2 hrs and ended up having my right tube removed. I am 7 days post surgery and feel emotionally and physically battered.
All i would say is if you are worried ring your GP or go to a and e, i visited twice before i knew i had ruptured.
Im paranoid at every little pain now since the surgery, i have pain in my left hand side (ectopic was in my right tube) when i wee and slight back pain so now have it in my head i have a water infection so im going to ring my GP
Let me know how you get on

Carys111

Post by Carys111 »

Thanks to you both, for sharing your stories!

Dana your words and encouragement mean a lot!

Oh god- you ordeal sounds horrific, I do hope you can fully rest and recover now- please keep us updated on your healing

I am now bleeding like a normal period , but without pain. I am due to go back on Tuesday for blood work- I think I will ask for a scan just to check everything is okay!

Feeling much stronger today but I think the hormones are making me very up and down

With love xx

Carys111

Post by Carys111 »

Dana, did you keep your copper coil in afterwards or remove it?

X

dlm08

Post by dlm08 »

I had it removed when I found out about the pregnancy. I just used condoms for a while afterwards as I have problems using hormonal birth control. For various reasons that didn't work for me either so I got another copper IUD about 9 months after my ectopic and have used it ever since. Deciding on a birth control method afterwards was honestly one of the most stressful parts but for me the IUD is still the best option.