By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Second ectopic in 3 months

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Mamadoc

Second ectopic in 3 months

Post by Mamadoc »

Hi,

I’m new to the forum. I had an ectopic pregnancy in my left tube in June 2018 but didn’t register as felt I was dealing ok with it at the time. I knew from the beginning of that pregnancy that something was wrong and we have a beautiful 1 year old girl (and my husband is wonderful) so I felt I could deal with it. I had a total left salpingectomy in June and nothing was found to be wrong with my right tube.

We were lucky enough that both times we managed to conceive in the first month of trying despite me having a huge gynae history and ongoing endometriosis.

I found out I was pregnant again 2 weeks ago and had a feeling something wasn’t quite right again, but thought I was being insane. And we were so lucky that it happened first try again. When I started having mild pains on the left again I really thought I was insane as I have no tube there.

I went for my early scan and they couldn’t see anything intrauterine even though I had an HCG of 2200 so they should have done- sent home with pregnancy of unknown location, for repeat bloods and repeat scan. Bloods were doubling so all looking good.

I had the second scan 2 days ago and they found that I had another ectopic- on the left again. It was an interstitial ectopic which they had to operate on to remove again. The consultant has said he has never seen it happen before as I ovulated from the right, it travelled down the healthy tube and then travelled across to the other side and effectively implanted in the old stump.

I’m back home now and physically recovering really well. And I know I should be grateful that we have always got pregnant quickly and that I still have a functioning right tube and a lovely daughter, but I’m all over the place.

One minute I feel completely fine, the next I’m bawling my eyes out or arguing about something completely irrational with my husband.

We have been told that because of the damage to my uterus with it being an interstitial ectopic, we have to wait a minimum of 6 months to try again- which I know isn’t the end of the world, it’s just hard when we thought we would have another baby in January, and then we thought we would have another in May.

I’m not sure the purpose of me posting this or what I’m hoping for, but I think it has helped just typing it out to be honest. Sorry to all those in a similar situation x

EPT Host 20

Re: Second ectopic in 3 months

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Mamadoc,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancies and losses. To experience one loss is difficult to deal with multiple losses is heartbreaking and my heart truly goes out to you.
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.

An ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task.
You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

Please be kind to yourself, allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally.
We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Bhakti

Post by Bhakti »

Hi

I have had a very similar story to you! In July 2018 I had an ectopic pregnancy in my left tube which was removed. We then got pregnant in April and went for early scans. They couldn’t find anything. They said my womb lining had thickened and my hcg levels were doubling so they think it’s in the womb but too early. I went in for another two scans and they couldn’t still find anything. In the third scan my hcg levels were 8,000 plus. They found the baby in my left stump! They said due to my previous surgery it was too risky to give me surgery again and so opted to give me the mtx injection. Day 4 after the injection I ruptured and was rushed into surgery. I lost 3 litres of blood and was sedated in icu all night. The next day the surgeon came round and said she’d removed the stump and didn’t have to do anything to the uterus other than a couple of stitches. In the end, she confirmed the egg had actually travelled to the left stump itself as it was on the outside. No idea how that can happen!

How are you now? My surgery was on Monday so I’m just recovering. It’s been an ordeal but glad to be alive!

Mamadoc

Post by Mamadoc »

Ugh I’m so sorry that sounds awful. I hope you’re recovering ok and have lots of people looking after you.

By way of update, I am now 18 weeks pregnant again (conceived 5 months after the second ectopic). It’s considered high risk, and I’ve been told I will have to have ** section, but so far all going ok (touch wood). It’s all a bit stressful but also feel very fortunate after all that happened.

If there’s anything I can do to help/if you want a chat just give me a shout.

Bhakti

Post by Bhakti »

Congratulations! Your story has given me so much hope. Thank you for that. I hope your pregnancy goes well! Keep me posted! X