By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Angular pregnancy- very rare type

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Erika

Angular pregnancy- very rare type

Post by Erika »

Dear all,

I am new to this forum and wanted to post to ask if anyone has had experience with of heard of the very rare type of pregnancy called "angular pregnancy"? I am currently going through an angular pregnancy (15 weeks) and was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago.

Since finding out about this type of pregnancy I have scoured the internet but there is really so little information about it. Angular pregnancy is when the placenta attaches in one of the upper corners of the uterus (but not in the tube) and the foetus grows and expands in the corner. In a normal pregnancy the foetus would fill the whole uterine cavity, but in an AP the foetus expands and stretches in one of the corners- close to the tubes- and doesn't always fill out the cavity of the uterus properly. Most often part of the uterus gets severely deformed during the pregnancy because of this, sometimes to the point where the uterus cannot be saved or retract to its normal shape after the pregnancy/ miscarriage/ termination.

AP is also often confused with "cornual pregnancy", which is when the foetus attaches to one of the "chambers" of a bicornual-shaped uterus, i.e. a uterus that is heart-shaped. However, these are two different types of pregnancies. In my research of medical literature so far I have not been able to find any information on whether one of these types of pregnancies is more severe or risky than the other. For both types of pregnancies my doctors have said they normally advice women to terminate due to the risks, and to try again. Risks include miscarriage, ruptured uterus and premature birth. At my hospital, the doctors have handled two cases of cornual pregnancies but no APs. Both CPs resulted in premature (live) births at week 22 and 24 but in both cases the uterus had to be removed too.

Since there are only about 80-100 cases that have been medically documented worldwide, there is very little data to rely on when having to make a decision whether to terminate or possibly continue with the pregnancy. A 1981 study by Elliott et al on 39 historic cases of APs gave results that appx. 40% end in miscarriage and 13% in ruptured uterus. Very few cases were carried to full term or next to full term, and the rest were in varied stages of premature births. The studies do not give any data on whether the babies from the live births survived their first year. There doesn't seem to be any study that have followed the development of AP (or CP) babies. However, all of the successful pregnancies had to be managed with c-section since vaginal births are too risky.

In any case, I would love to come in contact with other persons who have experienced or heard about this type of pregnancies, successful or not. Statistically my doctors say APs would affect 0,004% of all pregnant women so there must be more people out there with experience from this. I am also interested to hear from persons who have experienced CPs, since it is a very similar type of rare and risky pregnancy.

All the best, Erika

Kay39

Re: Angular pregnancy- very rare type

Post by Kay39 »

Dear Erika
Good day
I am really sorry to hear your having a difficult pregnancy and would like to share with you that I myself am going through cornual pregnancy at the moment “6 weeks”, and yesterday I had my second scan that showed baby heart beating despite chemical treatments to terminate the pregnancy :cry: :cry:
My gyno also told me this is a very rare case and that out of 3000 pregnancies only one turns out like mine!
However, i have been told that I must terminate the pregnancy as it would not develop to a healthy Fetus and or the tube might be ruptured.
Thank you for sharing your story here now my heart is more at ease for knowing that I am not alone to go through such rare pregnancy
Please ask your doctors for best options and I wish you all the luck.
Kay

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Erika,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
As you have mentioned, this is an extremely rare form of ectopic pregnancy and I would take advice from your medical team. Sadly I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice on your circumstances but I have forwarded your post to senior members of our team to see if we can help you with any further information and I will post any replies I get.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Kay39

Post by Kay39 »

Dear Erika,
Hi again,
Just wanted to update you on my situation in the hope of making it easier for you my dear.
Today again I had some tests and they confirmed yet that my beta Hcg level is increasing despite two methotrexate injections and therefore surgery is immediately decided by my medical team.
Tomorrow morning I will be having an open surgery and hopefully I will be coming back with good news for you, fingers crossed for me and all of you out there who have been and are going through difficult times and may you all get the best treatment and care you deserve
Much love
Kay

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Erika,
I have spoken to a senior advisor and she has only come across angular pregnancy once in her many years of working with the Trust, at the time she spoke to our medical advisors who states that due to the rare natural of angular pregnancy, there is little evidence on outcomes.
I have found some information here, but you mention you have looked at the internet so you may have seen this.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5558297/
I am sorry that we are not able to provide you with more information, but I would advise talking through all options with your medical team.

Sending much love
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Kay39

Post by Kay39 »

Dear Erika,
I have had my operation today and Thank goodness it went well enough despite the complication and the risks, i am very hopeful now that you will be able to go ahead with an operation if you ever wish to go ahead.
The medical team advised me to take it very easy for a while and to have bed rest for a couple of weeks.
Please make sure you do the same and ask for strong painkillers as the pain is quite severe
Wishing you all the best and sending you love