By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

EPU missed my ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Butterflyoxo

EPU missed my ectopic pregnancy

Post by Butterflyoxo »

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry to anyone who has found themselves on this site due to having an ectopic pregnancy.

I also really have to express my thanks and gratitude for the people who run this website, it was of such comfort when I had my ectopic pregnancy last month. The information is written clearly and will help so many women. So thank you.

I have come on here to ask others opinions on how the EPU missed my ectopic pregnancy.

I was referred there due to spotting and heavy bleeding and slow rising HCG. The first scan I was told they couldn't see anything where they'd expect to, but after more looking they 'think' they had found a very small thin sac among fluid measuring 4-5 weeks. I should have been 7.5. I was told it wasn't looking good and to come back in 2 weeks for another scan. No bloods were taken and when I asked I was told my ovaries and tubes were fine.

Two weeks later, now 9.5 weeks I return. The sac and fluid had gone, I was asked if I'd bled, which I had only spotting. They said it was likely over and I had HCG blood test to confirm that it was dropping. Again, I asked about ectopic and was told they weren't worked about that. My husband asked if there was a baby and was told no. We go home and two hours later the EPU ring asking me to go back as bloods hadn't done what they wanted them to. I return and am told my HCG is now over 11000(!). This time the more senior woman of the two did another scan and she focused on the ovaries and the pain was instant and I was crying, couldn't cope with the pain, it was like my insides were being ripped apart. But they had to get pictures they said. I noticed the other woman didn't say anything, the scan she did two hours previously hadn't hurt at all. I suspect she didn't look there properly. After the scan I sit down and am told they cant find it and I need a diagnostic laparoscopy and my HCG is too high for methotrexate. So I am taken to a ward and have surgery 5 hours later where it was found in my right tube which was then removed.

My concerns are why wasn't it found?! It could have ruptured at home in all that time, I don't think they looked up there properly. Because it wasn't found until too late, I couldn't have methotrexate and had to have my tube removed. I asked again and again and they only acted when the HCG came back. That sac was likely a pseudo sac, common in ectopics. I'm so upset that it had to come to surgery and loss of my tube. The fact that no one would tell my husband and I many details of how big it was etxc concerns us as well.
I don't know whether to write in and say something. The senior EPU woman said she was sorry they hadn't found it and I was in a state of shock so reassured her at the time.
Now I feel so so upset that this could have been prevented.
If you were me what would you do?
Thank you so much. X

EPT Host 20

Re: EPU missed my ectopic pregnancy

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Butterflyoxo,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss, from your own words, I can imagine what a shock this has all been and I'm so sorry you have had to go through this.
Sadly I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific answers on your experience, however you obviously have many unanswered questions.
I would recommend contacting the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital you were treated at and asking them to investigate further. You can ask them to review your case and also give them a list of all the questions you want answering.

Please also be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally. We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Butterflyoxo

Re: EPU missed my ectopic pregnancy

Post by Butterflyoxo »

Karen, thank you so much for your fast and kind reply.
We did initially contact PALS and they offered us an appointment with the surgeon which we did but he himself said he couldn't answer questions relating to the EPU. It seems they don't want to answer any questions. I've written a long letter of my concerns but can't bring myself to send it, as ironically I feel bad for them! :roll:
Thank you again for your reply x