By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Getting back to normal

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
dwinky95

Getting back to normal

Post by dwinky95 »

Hi
I'm not really coping too well. I went to the doctors on the 6th Feb after having a week and a half of bleeding. The first 4 days I just thought was a normal period and had pretty much stopped all day then I sneezed of all things and the bleeding started again hence going to the doctors after it didn't stop. I was told I was pregnant and they thought I was miscarrying so was sent to my local EPU who confirmed this, but had blood tests to check my hormone levels were dropping... well they increased so was booked in for a second scan on 12th Feb. There they confirmed it was actually ectopic. So I was in hospital all day and had the injections. Day 4 went back for my blood tests and it doubled and now my day 7 blood test shown my levels have dropped to less than when I went to the doctors.
Anyway, ive been signed off work for 2 weeks and been told to take it easy but now my levels have come down I can start doing a little bit more. But I don't know when to go back to work as i can't afford to be losing lots of money and I just want to get back to normal. Physically I'm feeling better but am still bleeding and the pain comes and goes and still feeling quite tired, but emotionally I'm up and down like a rollercoaster. My partner wants me to go back this weekend like I was planning but my work have said I'm not in now until next Thursday. I just don't know what to do, I'm all over the place.
The pregnancy wasn't planned so came as a shock, but I've been broody after my nephew was born a few months back and we didn't have any protection in place as we decided when it's time it will happen. So obviously I'm heartbroken after coming to terms with the fact I'd lost the baby after being told I miscarried to actually no you haven't and having to get rid of it to save me essentially.
Just after any advice on being able to get back to normal and back to work (I work in a dog only pet shop so there's lots of dogs being lifted into baths and big bags of dog food etc to be carried, so obviously I am worrying a little as I'm only a week into the treatment)
Thanks.

EctopicPUL

Re: Getting back to normal

Post by EctopicPUL »

Be careful lifting anything heavy until your hcg reaches 0. Rare but you can still rupture at low levels. I found emotionally I was erratic, empowered one day and cuckoo the next. Took a while to settle. Can you go back on less days or light duties (if you can’t take a complete break due to money)?

You doctor can adjust the fitnote to recommended reasonable adjustments. Your job doesn’t HAVE to accept them but hopefully they’ll be flexible

dwinky95

Post by dwinky95 »

Theyre generally quite flwxible, theyve been really good throughout the whole thing, they just want me to concentrate on myself. I've only been there a month so don't know what's going to happen with regards to sick pay yet. I only do about 4 days a week anyway on short shifts as I'm only on a 16 hour contract. But there's not much I can do apart from standing on the till, as even cleaning I get worried I'm going to do something I shouldn't :( and i will feel guilty watching everyone else do that main work :( I'm trying not worry about everything but I just can't help myself

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

If you’re totally off and not entitled to sick pay you should be entitled to statutory sick pay. Health comes first but I know how it feels to be scared of hurting your body but equally wanting to get back to normal. My advice would be if possible though to take some conplete time off, for your head as much as your body. It’s a shocking thing to go through

dwinky95

Post by dwinky95 »

Yeah I think I'm still trying to get my head around it all. I've been off a week and at the minute im off for 1 more week. I just don't want to be a burden on my partner either financially. Hopefully everything will be okay sooner rather than later, just don't want to rush it.

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

I get it but you’re no burden. You’ve suffered a physical consequence of something you both made. If you need a few more weeks off, like everything it’s joint. I needed time. My emotions went a bit weird though I think lots of others have recovered quicker. I guess I’m always the voice encouraging permission to take time bc I rushed back initially and needed others to make me pause.

If you do go back though, just really be careful with lifting xx

Glo

Post by Glo »

Your story is exactly like mine, first pregnancy and I got the injection on the 12th am confused

dwinky95

Post by dwinky95 »

I'm all over the place emotionally, been arguing quite a bit last couple of days with my fiance as he thinks I'm fine to go back to work and just stand on a till and I need to because I can't afford to lose anymore money but yesterday the pain got so bad I was in tears (we've run out of paracetamol :( ) and the bleeding has doubles in the last 24 hours after I tried to move my 15kg staffie... bad idea I know. Because of that the arguing has settled and he's been really good again making me cups of tea and hot water bottles, think he's suddenly realised how much I'm struggling still.
He's now said I should call the number I've got for the hospital but I'm due to go in on Tuesday anyway so hoping the pain and bleeding will settle again as I know the bleeding for me especially gets heavier then goes really light again, but I don't know what to do now :roll:

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

When I got bad cramps on 2 occasions it’s common to pass tissue called a decidual cast (it’s the lining of the womb) and looked pretty weird. For me that was when I had the most cramps.

If your pain is not controlled by over the counter meds (when you get them), or if you fill a pad in 2 hours, do seek help bc there is a chance of rupture if you let hcg isn’t clear.

Hope you get more comfortable soon X

dwinky95

Post by dwinky95 »

Thank you. Luckily I've got paracetamol now so I've taken some. I'm not filling a pad up that quickly thank the lord. But my pains more central too not to the right where the pregnancy is/was. So fingers crossed it dies down again. Just want these next few months to be over with so we can ttc again :roll:

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

That central period pain may be a good sign bc once things start to resolve the hormones drop and you no longer need the lining of the womb. It can happen quite suddenly. Mine came off as tissue within a few hours but it can be as more normal bleeding. Hope a sign you’re resolving. Defo a Netflix day lol x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear dwinky95,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
A lot of women are shocked by how exhausted they feel following methotrexate injection, including myself. It can be physically and emotionally draining.
I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology. What I can say is that it can take a number of weeks and, while it can take some time, it is not as invasive a procedure as surgery. Also, in terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, studies do not show a significant difference between treatment routes, whether surgical, medical using methotrexate or expectant management (allowing time for the body to resolve the pregnancy itself).

While I appreciate that feeling of wanting to "get back to normal", you have done exactly the right thing in asking about going back to work at such a delicate time. With experiencing an ectopic pregnancy, your body is going through a challenging ordeal and it is important to take things easily during your treatment.
If you are being treated with a drug called methotrexate, please do not undertake any strenuous exercise or lifting or housework while your hCG levels are dropping. While I do not want to alarm you, there remains the risk of rupture even with low or declining hCG levels. So you may require further time off work or, if possible ask if a colleague can complete the heavy lifting for you. If you develop any worsening pain or bleeding whilst your levels are declining, please contact your EPU or A&E to discuss your symptoms.

As a gentle reminder regarding TTC following methotrexate, you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

Above all, be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team