By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Separation pain

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Chicago123

Separation pain

Post by Chicago123 »

I had MTX 7 days ago and started having sharp, shooting pains in my lower right pelvic region. It first started last night and subsided, and now again tonight. I don’t think it’s awful enough to be rupture pain but it sure isn’t pleasant. The focused area of the pain worries me though. It sounds like it could be separation pain but I haven’t found much information on this topic. Has anyone else experienced this?

EPT Host 22

Re: Separation pain

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Chicago123,

I am so very sorry to hear you are going through this worrying time. While I'm not medically qualified and cannot provide advise on your specific case, it will be very important to know what your HCG levels are at this time. Unfortunately, even though MTX has been administered you are still considered pregnant and at chance for rupture until levels are below 5 ml/UL.

If you are feeling increasing unwell, especially if you have any increasing pain or shoulder tip pain, it will be important to visit your local A&E. It's important to listen to your body and to get reassurance if you need it.

With good wishes,

Michele

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Chicago123

Re: Separation pain

Post by Chicago123 »

I wound up going to the ER because the pain was focused in one area, it was worrisome and went on for several hours, off and on. They did a blood test and ultrasound and everything was fine - my hcg even dropped ~40% since my last blood test only 36 hours before (28 to 16). Note: My hcg levels have always been low - highest I had was 43, right before MTX.

I’m still glad I went. I feel so much better knowing it was not rupture pain and confirming everything is fine. This has been a scary time, filled with anxiety, and it’s better to be safe than sorry.

For ladies who may want to hear my story: I had cramping the day of methotrexate (MTX) and was really tired. I had abdominal pain for a couple of days but nothing like I had in the last 48 hours (6-7 days post MTX). About 6 to 7 days after MTX I started feeling a stabbing pain sensation on one side in my lower abdomen / pelvic region. On 7 days post MTX, I started bleeding a lot more (not an amount that would make me too worried, but it was more than I thought it would be). I had spotting before, but this was different - more like a heavy period but bright red and liquid-y. In my case, I believe I experienced “separation pain” based on my internet research (see link below), but I am not a medical professional and the doctor who examined me didn’t confirm this - they just said pain can happen with MTX. I’m on day 8 now and the pain has since stopped but the bleeding has continued. I think this is just my body going through the process. Next doc visit is on Monday (11 days post MTX). Hoping my hcg is below 10 at that point and I’m cleared to fly home Tuesday.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10214839/