By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Advice needed

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sazzles

Advice needed

Post by Sazzles »

I was diagnosed yesterday with a right side ectopic pregnancy which is very close to the right ovary. I would have been 6 weeks 3 days today. They took bloods yesterday and hcg was 75 so I have been sent home for watch and wait. I am due back tomorrow for bloods, but now I know I am experiencing shoulder pain and neck ache. The bleeding hasn't increased and I have little to no pain at all in the abdomen. I am beside myself with worry and dont know what to do. I know a rupture is unlikely with a hcg so low, but I am worrying so much. Any advice appreciated.

EctopicPUL

Re: Advice needed

Post by EctopicPUL »

The shoulder tip pain is said to be a very very specific kind of pain - I think there is a brochure on it on this site.

I had expectant management too and I know how awful it is. I’d go home alone and be analysing every twinge. Have a look at the leaflets on here. Take a few deep breaths. If you definitely have that pain on the shoulder tip, do seek help but I know how awful it is to be sent home without a plan and anxiety certainly made me analyse every single twinge. The pain they say is meant to be shoulder tip, not neck, so most likely, you are fine. You are going through an AWFUL time and the anxiety of expectant management is terrible I did it for 7 weeks end of last year.

Take care of yourself, take a few deep breaths, you WILL be okay. If you’re genuinely worried about the pain of course seek help but remember anxiety plays tricks on you.

Don’t think about pink elephants. Now what are you thinking about? That’s how I feel the warnings about shoulder tip pain worked for me. I was feeling fine until they kept warning me :) of course it’s for good reason but equally it plays with mind.

You’re gonna get through this and IF it’s stress, remember you’re not alone and you’re in a community of people who have been there and know what a horrid situation it is. Tonight is the night for Netflix , and chocolate biscuits, or whatever self care looks like for you X

Sazzles

Post by Sazzles »

Thank you so much for replying. And I am thinking about pink elephants. I have sat at home all day feeling miserable and haven't eaten much which isn't helping.

I am having an evening of Netflix and have put the shoulder pain down to me trying to see the scan images yesterday.

7 weeks sounds horrendous. At least I am able to go back tomorrow for bloods so can see someone. They originally offered methotrexate but changed their mind as hcg was so low. I feel like hcg is lowering as am not at the toilet as much today and I have had no abdominal pain, just twinges.

Fingers crossed it will solve itself x

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

You’re so so close to the end. A lot of the American forums show women have Methotrexate with low hcg but unless it’s rapidly going up, I’m actually really pleased I didn’t need treatment overall but I didn’t feel like that when I was ‘in’ it. Shoulders and neck are probably painful through stress too. You’re really close. I hope it was just a blip. Sometimes as things are absorbed there’s a little raise in hcg too.

Take care Xxx

Sazzles

Post by Sazzles »

It was just a blip. Levels down to 27 so more than half after 48 hours. I have to take a hpt next Friday and if negative I am discharged. Feel like a bit of a fraud as so many people have suffered so much longer and have had more procedures etc.

I think the main issue for me now is that I was more in danger when I didn't know, that is the most traumatizing (not helped by the fact epu sent me home on the first day before waiting for blood results).

Thank you for all your help x

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

Glad it was just a blip. I feel the same, compared to people who had emergency surgery 7 weeks of expectant management was a different trauma. You’re no fraud but SO glad your levels have dropped X