By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Mass remain after methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Samantha1991

Mass remain after methotrexate

Post by Samantha1991 »

I’m hoping someone can help has anyone else experienced this? I was too upset at hospital to take in all the information

I found out I was unexpectedly pregnant on 11/02 and had my first methotrexate 15/02 to no effect having my second injection 28/02 which finally worked however have suffered with anxiety every night including a trip to A&E for bleeding which thankfully turned out to be nothing out of the ordinary

I have been treated with 2 shots of methotrexate I’ve been fourtunate that my levels have always been low just 602 at the highest and now thankfully only on 38 so hopefully next Thursday all levels will have disappeared however my mass has not shrunk at all only 2 cm and the doctor said this is rare but it happens that the pregnancy goes but the mass remains and it’s nothing to worry about and I would only have it removed if I chose to.

I just don’t understand how this isn’t something to worry about if it’s something that shouldn’t be in my tube can it still dissolve or am I going to have this mass forever
Will it cause any issues in the future if my boyfriend and I Decide to ttc

We have also been given the go ahead to be ‘intimate’ even though my levels aren’t quite 0 but I am terrified not just of penetration but of being intimate at all just in case any contracting of my muscles causes an issue. Has anyone else had this fear?!? How did you get passed it??? I really hope that isn’t too personal I just don’t know who to talk to about this. My boyfriend has been incredible throughout everything and he is not putting any pressure but he can’t quite understand my fear just respects it.

Sorry for such a long post just havnt had anyone to talk to who can relate to such a terrifying time

EctopicPUL

Re: Mass remain after methotrexate

Post by EctopicPUL »

I didn’t have Methotrexate - I had watch and watch. When my levels got under 80 I had intimacy during a birthday weekend and it was fine/Safe etc.

I’m on a miscarriage board and one question id have for doctors is do they think the mass will one day absorb or is it likely to create calcifications? Also is there any risk for cysts or blockage. (This would be my questions)

I did pass the products of conception 5 weeks into my watch and wait. It actually turned out to be a relief to me bc my hcg droppped after that. I think it’s unlikely but actually it felt like closure.

It’s natural to be anxious and wobbly. The whole process is horrific. Just know you’re not alone X

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Samantha1991,

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. You have been through so much in a short period of time, and it has been both physically and emotionally taxing. While I'm not a medical doctor and cannot comment on your specific case, I would encourage you to continue to follow up with your GP or Gynae doctor with your question. I know how exhausting it can be and you might find your boyfriend is able to help ask the questions you cannot. I've found that creating a list of questions, anytime I think of one, has been helpful to make sure I ask. You certainly have every right to ask about information that is unclear to you.

It's heartening to know that your levels are decreasing, and I would just encourage you to continue looking after yourself and monitoring your symptoms. It's important to take everything in your own time. While the doctor may have said you can be intimate, you may not be ready, and that is completely find.

In regards to TTC in the future, while there is no clear, researched evidence on how long a woman should wait to try to conceive after having treatment for ectopic pregnancy, we and other medical professionals advise you wait for at least three months or two full menstrual cycles (periods) before trying to conceive for both physical and emotional reasons. As well, following one or two shots methotrexate you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive.

I know how what an anxious time this can be and how many questions you may have. Please know that we are here for you at anytime and for anything.

With good wishes,

Michele

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, by volunteering, or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Samantha1991

Post by Samantha1991 »

Thank you so much ladies for replying just a reply is reassuring and I feel as though I have found a support system so I don’t feel so alone I will definitely be writing down my questions for my next visit with the wonderful ladies at EPU hopefully the mass will dissolve once my levels have completely diminished that will be a load off my mind

Swtjsh0

Post by Swtjsh0 »

Hey dear,
Me too is suffering from the same problem..as urs...
I got my methotrexate dose on 19/2 and after that only some bleeding.now my beta HCG is dropped from 588 to 1.21 but still some mass is their.consulted two doctors..one adviced for laproscopy to remove that mass..another adviced to wait for some months..and given some antibiotics and placentex injections for 7 days .

Samantha1991

Post by Samantha1991 »

Hello lovely
It’s great that your hcg is dropping!!! Always a positive sign. It’s interesting that you got a second option for the remaining mass it’s something I will definitely bring up this Thursday at my blood test I just find it hard to get my head around that I can just leave the mass there with no issues. I have heard that in some women it can take time for the mass to dissolve I just know it’s going to always be in the back of my mind even though it’s just a shell at this point and has not grown since the very beginning so it will not cause a rupture but still having something in your body that’s not supposed to be there does concern me but the idea of having surgery after two courses of Methotrecate to avoid surgery seems like a strange option for myself
Hope everything goes ok for you!

Swtjsh0

Post by Swtjsh0 »

Good to hear u.
Hoping for the best..for both of us

Lily123

Post by Lily123 »

Hi my mass was still there after my levels dropped to zero, it finally disappeared about 8 weeks later x

Samantha1991

Post by Samantha1991 »

Lily123 wrote:Hi my mass was still there after my levels dropped to zero, it finally disappeared about 8 weeks later x
Hi Lilly123 that’s really encouraging to hear I’m really glad it worked out for you how did you find out it had disappeared? The EPU I go to don’t do follow ups once the levels are below 12. Did you just go back to doing your normal things after your levels went to 0? I’m only concerned about heavy lifting exercising and intimacy I’m sure I’m just being paranoid I just can’t quite understand how it’s safe to do those things when the mass is still there when these are things we can’t do before 0 anyway for risk of rupture x

S+TD

Post by S+TD »

Hi I am new to this group but had to register after finding the forum and feel like I’m going to be finding the same outcome as what I’ve read.
I had methotrexate 10 days ago I’ve had no side affects and felt completely normal the bleeding has been non stop since three weeks ago so nothings changed. I went to see the consultant yesterday at the EPC and she did another scan as my HGC rocketed to it’s highest level on day 7 of the injection but she confirmed the “blob” as she called it hasn’t changed in size or location at all since my first ever scan. They don’t want to give me a second shot of methotrexate until next Tuesday as they want to see if it’s still working but if the HGC level rose but it’s not grown why would the HGC rise so much when nothing has happened to the cells!?!?!? it’s such a up and down long road but I can see me having the remains as it were (sorry I don’t really know how to describe it all) still being there when my levels go down as much as I wanted to be pregnant with a healthy pregnancy I just want this over with now.

Samantha1991

Post by Samantha1991 »

S+TD wrote:Hi I am new to this group but had to register after finding the forum and feel like I’m going to be finding the same outcome as what I’ve read.
I had methotrexate 10 days ago I’ve had no side affects and felt completely normal the bleeding has been non stop since three weeks ago so nothings changed. I went to see the consultant yesterday at the EPC and she did another scan as my HGC rocketed to it’s highest level on day 7 of the injection but she confirmed the “blob” as she called it hasn’t changed in size or location at all since my first ever scan. They don’t want to give me a second shot of methotrexate until next Tuesday as they want to see if it’s still working but if the HGC level rose but it’s not grown why would the HGC rise so much when nothing has happened to the cells!?!?!? it’s such a up and down long road but I can see me having the remains as it were (sorry I don’t really know how to describe it all) still being there when my levels go down as much as I wanted to be pregnant with a healthy pregnancy I just want this over with now.
Hiya
It was the same for me on day 7 after my first shot I was at 602 which was the highest for me so they waited a couple more days and then gave me the second shot by the fourth day after the second dose it had gone down to 273 so I really wouldn’t worry it seems to be the common practise as my mass hasn’t grown or shrunk at all it’s been 2cm the whole time and the loose fluid was 10mm up to 14mm which to be honest scared me (you apparently always have some fluid but they won’t worry until it’s about 5CM) but it’s important to remember the doctors do deal with this every day they won’t take risks with you so you can trust them. The best thing to do is just ask them what it means That the hcg has risen but the mass has not changed.

It’s such a scary time I know it is difficult because you just want it all over with. probably googling all different things and getting worked up about the results online I did exactly that and spent every single day panicking about every little twinge.

It got to a point with me where they said no change is good it’s changes they were worried about but methotrexate affects all of us differently for example I was bleeding non stop for about 3 weeks before I had the shot then suddenly no blood at all just some cramping now and then but now my levels were at 8.4 today so I don’t have to go back there just take a home pregnancy test in a week but my mass is still there it can just take time to dissolve.

Xxx

S+TD

Post by S+TD »

Thank you so much for your response it’s so good to find others who have or are going through the same thing. That’s so good to know your levels have reduced and you haven’t got to go back. I hope the mass does go in time for you. I’ll keep checking the chat to see how things work out. Xx

Kriluma

Post by Kriluma »

Hi I know this is an old post , maybe someone can respond did your mass ever dissapear. I have a 2cm mass too which is not changing size. I had MTX over 1 week ago. Levels are dropping slowly but are 118 and never went higher than 334z now I am worried if I will always have that mass on my left tube