By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Feeling nothing after Methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
KJF

Feeling nothing after Methotrexate

Post by KJF »

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with an ectopic last Monday. I hadn't had much bleeding but a little brown spotting so went to get it checked. I opted for 'watch and wait' on the Monday and really hoped it would resolve itself but my bloods on Wednesday showed my HCG had risen by almost double so I was advised further action was needed. I opted for methotrexate but it's now Sunday (day 4) and I've not felt anything. I'm not tired and still only having some brown spotting (no bleeding at all). Is this normal? I'm so scared it's not going to work and that I'll need surgery. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm looking for a ray of hope...

EctopicPUL

Re: Feeling nothing after Methotrexate

Post by EctopicPUL »

Hi I didn’t have Methotrexate. Sorry you’re going through this though. I’ve read a lot of these forums and people seem to start feeling symptoms at different stages. I’ve also read a couple who barely had any symptoms. Some people seem to absorb more than they bleed.

Try not to panic and take care of yourself during this super stressful time.

X

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear KJF,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I am sorry as this maybe difficult to read but the first bleed that occurs after treatment for ectopic pregnancy is not classed as a period. It is the body's response to falling hormone levels because you are sadly no longer pregnant. The body expels the lining of the uterus that had built up in preparation for the pregnancy because it is no longer needed. This process involves vaginal bleeding - it can be clotty or like one of your usual periods and some women have bleeding/spotting for up to six weeks.
The hCG level often rises on the day four blood test after methotrexate, because the action of Methotrexate is not instantaneous, so the cells will have continued to divide for two or three days after the injection was given, and some cells release more hCG when they start to disappear. When your hCG levels start to reduce, you should start to bleed.
As a gentle reminder, please do not do any heavy lifting, housework or strenuous exercise whilst your hCG levels are reducing.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Buddy071

Post by Buddy071 »

Hey KJF,
I had methotrexate about a month ago on a weds night after a d and c. I had some bleeding on the Thursday and a little cramping, same on Friday (but on both days just a light period). By Saturday I had no bleeding and very little pain at all and it's been that way ever since. When I had the methotrexate my HcG levels were about 3400, they fell to 2000 by day 4 and to 843 by day 7. A week later it was 96 and a week later just 6. So my short answer is just because you are having few or no symptoms, does not mean it's not working. So hang on in there and as hard as it is, try to relax. We took a weekend by the sea days 5 and 6 and I am sure that fresh air and a slower pace really helped. Good luck, sending hugs x