By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

9 weeks and still no period

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Grinsted2019

9 weeks and still no period

Post by Grinsted2019 »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could share some light as I’m getting desperate. I had an ectopic pregnancy on January 21st which resulted in surgery and the removal of my left tube. All went well. It’s now March 20th and there’s still no sign of my period. My husband and I are desperate to start trying again.

Little background info. I was on the pill for 10+ years and came off in August 2018 to try for a family. I didn’t have a period for 4 months which was odd as I was regular prior to taking the pill. I eventually came on in December 2018. That’s when I caught straight away with it resulting in an ectopic unfortunately :( now it’s been 2 months since the ectopic and nothing.

Should I be concerned or is this my body adjusting after all the trauma? I’ve read your period usually comes back by 6 weeks and now I’m worried as it’s almost been 9 weeks. Please help!

EPT Host 22

Re: 9 weeks and still no period

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Grinsted2019,

I'm so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss, and I know the lingering questions can stay with us even after our surgeries. In general, many women experience changes to their menstrual cycles after an ectopic pregnancy and it can take some time to settle back into a rhythm that is more usual for you. Periods can be heavier or lighter or more painful than before - as we are so individual there isn't necessarily a set pattern. Doctors consider menstrual cycles of between 23-42 days to be within normal parameters.

I did want to advise you that in general the Trust suggests that couples to wait at least two full menstrual cycles or three months before trying to conceive again. This is to allow time for your body to heal and emotions to surface and be worked through. If you are considering TTC, the Trust recommends taking folic acid for at least 12 weeks prior to conception.

As you are concerned, it would be a good idea to speak to your doctors to be on the safe side and for peace of mind.

With good wishes,

Michele

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, by volunteering, or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team