By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

4 weeks following Methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Glory

4 weeks following Methotrexate

Post by Glory »

I know everyone is different however I’m Looking for personal experiences following the MTX injection. Levels have finally gone down to 7 hcg, however I’m still bleeding, and have mild shooting pain.
1) how long did your bleeding continue after levels dropped
2) has anyone experienced a shooting pain from time to time.
3) when did your body feel like it’s going back to normal?

I know everyone is different, I’m just curious what your personal experience might have been.

Thank-you xx

EctopicPUL

Re: 4 weeks following Methotrexate

Post by EctopicPUL »

I had watch and wait not Methotrexate. Have experienced shooting pains since. Turns out it’s likely a new cyclical ovulation pain and possible cysts occurring on one side. Have since been referred to Gynae for further investigations for shooting pains and twinges, likely with a hormonal rather than physiological cause in itself.

They feel nothing like my previous ovulation pains and go on for ages, and now I break through ovulating on my pill where that never happened before.

Ectopic can change your system in all kinds of ways

Glory

Post by Glory »

Thank you, please do let me know what the gynae says. Dr said I should monitor it for 4 weeks although I feel it needs to be more urgent. This process has certainly taught me something about “in the waiting”...!

eabaf

Post by eabaf »

Hi! I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy last Wednesday and receive my first dose of methotrexate that day. I was extremely fatigued and somehow managed to get enough energy to travel to Pennsylvania for work. I felt nauseous for a brief moment then had a headache. Other than emotional distress, I haven’t felt any physical discomfort. I’m also surprised that I’ve been spotting very lightly.

Moore2be

Post by Moore2be »

4 weeks after I had MTX shot I had extreme pain and vomiting... went to the doctor and had ultrasound-found tube had a leak from tissue dissolving and it formed a hematoma blood clot of 4cm- u am now about 12 weeks from MTX shot and the blood clot is at 7cm now ... please becareful and follow up with doctor and demand an ultrasound to check. My pain happened over the weekend and I put up with it until Monday but I should have gone sooner

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Glory,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
To answer your question, the first bleed that occurs after treatment for ectopic pregnancy is not classed as a period. It is the body's response to falling hormone levels because you are sadly no longer pregnant. The body expels the lining of the uterus that had built up in preparation for the pregnancy because it is no longer needed. This process involves vaginal bleeding - it can be clotty or like one of your usual periods and some women have bleeding/spotting for up to six weeks.
I had too had treatment with methotrexate injection but this was almost 9 years ago now so forgive me but time lines are a little hazy.
I experienced sharp pains in the side of my ectopic pregnancy for over 8 months after treatment. I was referred into hospital for further investigations into this as they weren't related to my periods or ovulation.
My body took some time to feel it was settling into a normal pattern, rhythm.
It does feel that it is taking time, but you will get there. If you are concerned about any pains or symptoms you maybe experiencing, do speak to your GP.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

Hi Karen

Can I ask did they do any treatment eventually for the pains? I’ve been offered a laparoscopy or 6 months trial of medical menopause and HRT to stop ovulation if the pill isn’t working. Both would be exploratory to see if it works to stop the pains. Mainly it’s on the ectopic side but it does occasionally happen on the opposite side and I had to think back it is approximately every other month so there’s a chance it’s new pains due to ovulation.

Did yours naturally settle?

I’m just switching jobs to something without sick pay initially so am reluctant to have a week off for the exploratory surgery as gynae is not confident they will see anything.

Equally not really up for hormonal chemical warfare.

Curious as to whether anyone else has had pains that have them naturally settled?

I’ve read the info about ovulation being more painful (I’ve always had ovulation pain) but equally there is a constant ache 90% of the time.

Just wondered if your situation eventually settled?

I was discharged in December but had a suspected cyst after.

The whole thing feels never ending. I’m ready to move on!

Thanks again.