By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

New member-Hematoma after methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Moore2be

New member-Hematoma after methotrexate

Post by Moore2be »

I found out Christmas Day I was pregnant. Had clot bleeding around 5 weeks but had 1st apt scheduled and went in. Told I was miscarriaging. Told I had to come back for level check until 0. My number kept going up so did ultrasound and found tubal pregnancy. Told had 2 options remove tube or try methotrexate shot. Did shot- had some pain and nausea but not as bad as I though... 4 weeks later had extreme pain and vomiting called doc that Monday and said come in for ultrasound because should not be like that 4 weeks out. Found a 4cm blood clot/hematoma on the outside of right tube. Told was a chance this could happen-lucky clotted and was put on bed rest for a week. Went back 3 weeks later for another ultrasound and clot grew to 7cm. Doctor looked shocked and said that we will keep watching bc should dissolve on its own... went back this week ( a month later) and clot still 7 cm... doctor recommends keeping an eye on it and no surgery unless pain or complications. I am so confused! Been going through this since end of Dec and no answers to why this is happening. Why my body will not absorb the clot. Debating to do a exploratory surgery to clean out clot.

Has this happened to anyone? I can barely find any information past the methotrexate shot or removal of the tube.

EPT Host 20

Re: New member-Hematoma after methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Moore2be,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Sadly I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice on your symptoms.
I am not aware of a clot/haematoma on the outside of your tube being a common side effect from the methotrexate injection.
We can experience a mass within the tube and the reabsorption can take weeks and sometimes months to be complete. I am afraid it can be difficult to be precise because our bodies are all unique and we respond differently physiologically with what is happening. In some instances, the fallopian tube may remain blocked by the pregnancy tissue which can take some time to shrink and, occasionally, it may not shrink and will leave a blockage in the tube by way of a small cyst. However, the use of Methotrexate does not reduce the chances of successful future pregnancy, whatever the outcome in the affected fallopian tube.
I am not sure how long it will take for a haematoma outside your tube to settle. It is good that you are being monitored and I would suggest talking to your medical team if the pain continues or you are concerned.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Moore2be

Post by Moore2be »

Thank you Karen! I am glad I found this site for support and hopefully I can give some support to others because it has been a lonely process (I have been surrounded with family and friends but no one knows anything about ectopic and the process)... I’ll update with changes in case anyone experiences the complications I have from the methotrexate treatment

Second EP

Post by Second EP »

Hi @New member-Hematoma
Sorry to read your side of loss. I know its been a while now but currently I am in the same boat. Can you help me to understand what treatment you got to take out the 7cm thing? Or did it resolve by its own. For me it's in the tube and increased from 1.8cm to 4cm and doctors saying it's just the blood in the tube, but I got very severe pain after three weeks of getting methotrexate injection on 27th January and on same that day with the help of ultrasound doctors figure it out there is something in the tube and it's Size is 4cm.