By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Hcg levels plateau after surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Jess_c

Hcg levels plateau after surgery

Post by Jess_c »

First of all, I just want to put a big thank you out there to everyone on this site. I have been on here often as we deal with my ectopic pregnancy and surgery.

I just want to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I had surgery on March 18th. My hcg levels were 11,000. Two weeks later, they dropped to 120-ish. A week after that they were 32. My doctor called after my hcg test today and it was 34. She said I need to come back next week to check again and if it hasn’t gone down then I may have to get the shot as well. Has anyone else dealt with this? I really don’t want to have the shot too. Just wondering if anyone had a similar situation.

Thanks in advance :)

EPT Host 20

Re: Hcg levels plateau after surgery

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Jess_c,
I'm sorry to hear of this difficult and worrying time,
Following surgery for ectopic pregnancy, it can take a few weeks for hCG levels to fall to non pregnant levels and it was good to see your levels had fallen well. However, as I am not medically trained I am unable to comment on why they seem to be rising and you are doing right thing in speaking to your doctors.
Although I do not wish to alarm you, as your levels are rising, albeit, a small rise, I would like to gently remind you to seek urgent medical attention if you experience any unusual bleeding/pain/increased body temperature.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Jess_c

Post by Jess_c »

Jess_c wrote:First of all, I just want to put a big thank you out there to everyone on this site. I have been on here often as we deal with my ectopic pregnancy and surgery.

I just want to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I had surgery on March 18th. My hcg levels were 11,000. One week later, they dropped to 120-ish. A week after that they were 32. My doctor called after my hcg test today and it was 34. She said I need to come back next week to check again and if it hasn’t gone down then I may have to get the shot as well. Has anyone else dealt with this? I really don’t want to have the shot too. Just wondering if anyone had a similar situation.

Thanks in advance :)

Jess_c

Post by Jess_c »

I had the wrong information on my first post so I fixed it above :)

Lauralindsay1234

Post by Lauralindsay1234 »

Hi,

I am having a situation very similar to yours.

I had my surgery on 23rd March and have been attending hospital to get my levels checked. Last week they were at 60 and yesterday they went up to 64. I know have to go back on Monday and if they remain static they will review my treatment.

I will let you know after my appointment how I got on. Just wanted to let you know I am going through the same. I didn't understand it. Xx

Lulamcgoo12

Post by Lulamcgoo12 »

Hello,

Did you have a tube removed? I also had surgery on 23rd March and have had no follow up blood tests.

I hope everything is ok with you both.

Thanks
X

Jess_c

Post by Jess_c »

Just wanted to give an update. My levels were tested Monday and are down to 20.5. They are continuing to monitor me until my levels are below 5. I am relieved that they are down and hope this means they will continue to decrease in the coming weeks.

Also, I will add some more information about my experience if that would be helpful to anyone:

I did not have to have a tube or anything removed. My doctor believes the pregnancy was originally attached to my left ovary. I also had a cyst on that side the size of a golfball that had ruptured which was how we found out that the pregnancy was ectopic. My doctor removed everything with laparoscopic surgery.

It has been a month since the surgery. I am still sore on my left side and along my stomach below my belly button. I am having trouble trusting my body...it's hard for me to tell if pains are "normal" pains or not. Just feeling nervous to miss something that is wrong if that makes sense. I am looking forward to having levels below 5 to see if that helps heal me physically and mentally.

Jess_c

Post by Jess_c »

Lauralindsay1234 wrote:Hi,

I am having a situation very similar to yours.

I had my surgery on 23rd March and have been attending hospital to get my levels checked. Last week they were at 60 and yesterday they went up to 64. I know have to go back on Monday and if they remain static they will review my treatment.

I will let you know after my appointment how I got on. Just wanted to let you know I am going through the same. I didn't understand it. Xx

Have you heard back about your levels? I hope they went down and sending love to you.

Lauralindsay1234

Post by Lauralindsay1234 »

Hi,

I am so sorry. I didn't get any notifications that you had replied.

I didnt have anything removed either. My situation is very simlar to yours. I was told during my scan the ectopic was in my right fallopian tube but during surgery they found it on my right ovary. I ended up having to get the methetrextate injection because my hormones stayed static. After that I had to get bloods taken day 4 and day 7. Then weekly until they were below 3 which was this week. I have now been discharged.

I too still have still pain on my right side, its like a dull pain. I have mentioned this to the EPU and have had 2 further internal scan but they said all looks normal. Think it might be my body recovering from the surgery.

Hope you are well, sending my love xxx