By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

First period?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Louise82

First period?

Post by Louise82 »

Hello

I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy 4 weeks ago and have been expectantly managed. My hgc levels started 900 and are now at 67. I have been bleeding every day for 7 weeks. I had light bleeding for a week then medium/heavy bleeding for a week and thats when I was told I had a pregnancy in an unknown location. Then medium/heavy bleeding for another week and was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. Then two more weeks of medium bleeding. Then two weeks where it got lighter like spotting and was brown in colour and got to the point it almost stopped. Then today I have much heavier red bleeding more like a period. Could this be my first period or my uterus lining shedding now my levels are 67?

Many thanks

EPT Host 20

Re: First period?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Louise82,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I am sorry if this is a little difficult to read but to answer your question, the first bleed that occurs after treatment for ectopic pregnancy is not classed as a period. It is the body's response to falling hormone levels because you are sadly no longer pregnant. The body expels the lining of the uterus that had built up in preparation for the pregnancy because it is no longer needed. This process involves vaginal bleeding - it can be clotty or like one of your usual periods and some women have bleeding/spotting for up to six weeks. This sounds like the bleed you are currently experiencing.

Your periods can take a while to re-establish and most women find that their period arrives some time in the four weeks after their hCG levels have fallen to 0.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Moore2be

Post by Moore2be »

The same thing happened to me... I had light brown bleeding from the time I found out I was pregnant then went to very heavy and clotted then almost nothing back to heavy it was like this for weeks then I though this is def my normal period but doc said no not a “normal” period until level is back to zero... I finially hit zero about 3 weeks ago and had my first normal period... wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be -mine lasted about 10 days -might be because at this point been through so much and I was finially feeling back to normal pain wise and emotionally ... since I stopped bleeding from my period I have had no bleeding red or brown

Louise82

Post by Louise82 »

Thank you so much for these replys, really helpful x