By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic pregnancy but sister having baby

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
rcmitch

Ectopic pregnancy but sister having baby

Post by rcmitch »

Hi,

Less than 2 weeks ago I went to A&E after having bleeding. After lots of blood tests over a few days the hospital confirmed I have an ectopic pregnancy. My HCG levels kept going up so a week ago I had to have a Methotrexate injection. First hcg test after that went up and next one is tomorrow (fingers crossed it goes down). (The hospital have been amazing!)

This was my first pregnancy and I am desperate to a mum. Emotionally I am just about coping, I’m off work and today was the first day I’ve managed to see people with babies and not want to cry my eyes out.

However, my sister was due to give birth in 3 weeks but her waters have gone today and so my second niece is due to be born imminently.

I had hoped that I’d be through my treatment (my hcg is very low as it is) and have some time to recover before my sister had her baby but it seems that just isn’t the case.

I feel so mixed as I should be so happy about my niece but I feel this mix of emotions and I’m just so worried that it’s going to hugely set back my mental recovery.

Has anyone been in this position? Any advice?

I had thought I’d be ok without counselling but I’m now thinking that it might be a good idea.

Thanks

EPT Host 20

Re: Ectopic pregnancy but sister having baby

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear rcmitch,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
We hear from many women who struggle with news about pregnancy from their friends and families. This is very normal and I was the same after my loss. When I had my ectopic pregnancy I had to attend a family function and a close family member was heavily pregnant. I spent the whole day and evening avoiding her as I found it too hard to be near her. It's what I needed to do to get through the day and have some space and please protect your heart in whatever way you need. This does not make us "bad" people and it is possible to be happy for those around us while grieving for our own loss. Pregnancies and babies can be a very stark reminder of what could have been and it can be painful. Please do be gentle with yourself and you can talk to us whenever you need.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

LindsayV7110

Re: Ectopic pregnancy but sister having baby

Post by LindsayV7110 »

I am so sorry you are going through this! You and I have very similar circumstances. My husband and i have been trying for 3 years. We had a miscarriage in September and i just had my methotrexate injection this morning for an ectopic pregnancy. All i have ever wanted in life was to be a mother. After my miscarriage in September, not one but two of my sisters fell pregnant. One is due in 2 weeks the other in 5. All I want is to be happy for them, but I also feel so much hate and envy of the fact that they have what I desire more than anything in life..all on accident. I will pray that things get easier for you. I know how you feel seeing mother and new mothers and babies. I cry everyday. I never thought life could be so cruel. Good luck, I wish you nothing but the best and send love and good vibes your way!