By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Worries after first ectopic pregnancy at 21

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Lausstanley

Worries after first ectopic pregnancy at 21

Post by Lausstanley »

Back in November 2018 I started to have trouble with bleeding and pain, having started a new contraceptive pill I put up with this for a couple of months until second week of January when I found out I was having an ectopic pregnancy at 8/9 weeks. The whole process was sudden and rushed in order to get my operated on, the surgeon said I was minutes away from having to have everything removed. At the time I felt emotionally stable and only the last month or two have I become abit of a mess over it all. I have so many thoughts and worries, I wasn’t trying for a baby as I’m 21 and just finishing university so almost feel guilty for grieving a child I didn’t intend on having however am grieving so much for this baby that I was carrying without realising and never met. I’m also petrified for the future I don’t feel well informed on what will happen when I do want a child and start trying, reading threads on this forum it seems common for people to have a second ectopic or issues with trying for a baby after their first ectopic pregnancy which I was told at the time by a nurse that this would not be the case. I have so many different thoughts and emotions that drive me mad thinking about it all, does anyone know if it is possible to go and see a doctor or nurse or some sort of health service that can check me over or give me some sort of indication if things are ok for when I next try? I’m sure there is probably no such service but I am unsure as of what to do next and can’t live in this state of worry anymore.

EctopicPUL

Re: Worries after first ectopic pregnancy at 21

Post by EctopicPUL »

Remember boards give you a skewed perspective as people come to discuss problems. You have a 90% chance that everything will be fine. What you’re experiencing is super natural anxiety, I had it too. It’s good to talk it out on forums, or use the trust helpline. The nhs don’t routinely check your tubes or via surgery etc (a lot of these things carry risk of scarring or infection in themselves so whilst it feels concerning, it can also be protective).

I found it helpful to know whilst there is a 1/10 chance of it happening again that’s 9/10 it won’t! I don’t remember the exact stats and I’m sure the forum admin will come back with them but I believe within 18months, 65% of women are healthily pregnant and within 2 years it’s 85%.

This is also doesn’t account for people like me for whom ectopic was unplanned and so I’ve gone straight onto contraception so therefore am not trying.

Consider talking to your GP about talking therapies and check with the Women’s Centre or your local early assessment pregnancy unit if they have access to counselling.

You’re gonna be ok, though xx