By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Is this pain after surgery normal?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Lucyol19

Is this pain after surgery normal?

Post by Lucyol19 »

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advice as I’m not sure where else to turn...

I had emergency surgery to remove my ectopic pregnancy which had ruptured and was causing internal bleeding on 9th April. Whilst the doctors were very quick to get me on the operating table to save my life, I did not receive a great deal of guidance for after care...

I returned to my normal gym routine just two weeks after the op (high intensity cardio) as I was advised exercise was okay after two weeks. I started to become very light headed every time I would stand and started to experience pain in my lower abdomen. Since I have not been back to the gym but I have been experiencing that same pain. I am also experiencing bad lower back pain, an aching pain on either side of my lower abdomen (assuming this is my ovaries) and pain that comes and goes in my shoulder.

I just wanted to hear peoples experiences post tube removal to see if these pains are somewhat normal? As I have read on here your sense are obviously heightened to every ache and twinge, but I am petrified I may have pulled an internal stitch at the gym and this is causing internal bleeding (sounds dramatic I know) but as I was so unaware of this before the EP, I just wondered if anyone could share their experience.

Thank you in advance & I hope you lovely ladies are doing okay x

EctopicPUL

Re: Is this pain after surgery normal?

Post by EctopicPUL »

I have ovarian pain on both sides months down the line. Whilst I was aware of heightened ovulation pain, I didn’t even click this was ovulation pain bc I’d had it before. This builds and builds on both sides or someone’s one or the other.

However I think I’ve read guidance on here about taking it easy 6 weeks after surgery? 2 weeks to high intensity cardio seems quite quick. Did they realise you meant this rather than yoga or a brisk stroll? You’ve had major surgery. Do take it easy

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

*sometimes

Lucyol19

Post by Lucyol19 »

Hey! Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry to hear you have experienced something similar.

They didn’t specify what exercise, they just said exercise would be okay from 2 weeks. Looking back now it was way to quick, but I was desperate to get back into a routine and to try and focus on something else.

Could I possibly ask what other pains you experienced? Did you have the back pain? I’ve also been experiencing chest pains and bad headaches.

Hope you are healing x

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

Hi. I didn’t have surgery so I’m slightly different but I have a different reproductive system before and after the ectopic. Have had ovary side pain throughout the month and significant ovulation pain and suspect cysts on 2 occasions.

No issues before!

It is *touch wood* settling down the last month but I was diagnosed late Oct and discharged beginning of December.

Lucyol19

Post by Lucyol19 »

Oh gosh it sounds like you’ve been through so much! Fingers crossed it continues to settle down for you x

RebeccaKaznowski

Post by RebeccaKaznowski »

Hi,

I would go to your GP and get checked out. I got rushed home after my initial surgery, same as you to save my life but went two weeks with quite bad abdominal pain, very low down. I also have chills and sweats. Turned out I had left over blood clots from the initial surgery that had got infected and needed another operation to remove them.

I don't say this to scare you but I put off getting looked at for two weeks!! I should have gone straight back to hospital! No harm in getting looked at.

Hope all goes well.

Rebecca

Lucyol19

Post by Lucyol19 »

Oh Rebecca, I’m so sorry to hear this! As if what you have just been through isn’t enough to deal with... but another op on top. I really hope you are recovering well and taking it very easy x

Blessed

Post by Blessed »

I think you should see your doctor. After surgery, the pain stays and reduces with time. Since they use carbon dioxide gas to pump the stomach, that discomfort remains that is felt at the tip of the shoulder. If you are sure this pain was gone and returned after exercise, then consult your doctor.
Don’t do cardio till after 6 or 8 weeks
Try to find another activity to distract you.
Hope all goes well for u

RebeccaKaznowski

Post by RebeccaKaznowski »

Lucyol19 wrote:Oh Rebecca, I’m so sorry to hear this! As if what you have just been through isn’t enough to deal with... but another op on top. I really hope you are recovering well and taking it very easy x
Thanks Lucy, recovering well this time around but yes a few more weeks of taking it easy. Definitely go see your GP if you are worried about anything, after what you have been through they won't blame you if it turns out to be nothing to worry about. Look after yourself!

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Lucyol19,

While I appreciate that feeling of wanting to "get back to normal", you have done exactly the right thing in asking about exercise at such a delicate time. With experiencing an ectopic pregnancy, your body is going through a challenging ordeal and it is important to take things easily during your treatment.
Following surgery, please allow time for your body to heal internally after the invasive procedure. If you had keyhole surgery, you could start gentle exercise within two weeks of the operation. If you had open surgery then you should wait six weeks for your abdomen to heal.
When resuming exercise, activities like gentle walking or swimming are usually safe as long as the wounds are healing or your hCG levels are low, as these are non-impact sports.
Sadly I am not medically trained so if you are concerned about the level of pain or if it is worsening, please seek medical advice.

Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.

You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team