By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

4 weeks late on period, copper IUD, pain, negative test

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
annelyra

4 weeks late on period, copper IUD, pain, negative test

Post by annelyra »

Hi :)

I’d really appreciate some advice. My last period started on approx 15th March and I’m usually very regular, cycle just under four weeks long and very predictable. I have a copper IUD. I started with pain on one side of my stomach last Friday and so I went to my doctor, who suggested that I might be experiencing an ectopic pregnancy.

I had hcg bloods done yesterday - waiting for results. Still getting negative urine tests. Today I’m in pain on one side and it is gradually getting stronger and spreading, and I have started to bleed but it’s not like my usual period, it’s very thin, darkish red blood. Also been feeling very dizzy and struggling to eat, seem to feel sickly all the time the last couple of days.

Any advice? I should get blood results back tomorrow, but I’m worried about tonight and what to do. I should say as well that I have bipolar disorder which is well-managed but I am prone to anxiety even when I’m not experiencing an episode. Could this be psychosomatic, or just a late period for the first time in my life?

Thanks so much x

EctopicPUL

Re: 4 weeks late on period, copper IUD, pain, negative test

Post by EctopicPUL »

Keep calm. It’s truly anxiety provoking waiting for results. If you have a very specific shoulder tip pain (I’m told it’s unmistakable) then that would be something to pursue medically but just take it easy tonight. It’s really stressful awaiting a diagnosis or being monitored. I did it for 2 months whilst I resolved. You analyse every twitch and anxiety makes it so much worse - I was in knots! You’re going to be ok. Tomorrow, you will know if it’s a pregnancy and you will probably get another test 48hours later to see how the hcg goes up or down (if it’s positive). Hopefully it’s just a late period or some fluke period but if not, you will get through this! X