By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Post surgery swollen belly

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Spainectopic

Post surgery swollen belly

Post by Spainectopic »

I had laproscopic surgery 4 days ago to treat ectopic pregnancy and ruptured tube. I had the tube removed. I had a swollen belly before probably due to the internal bleeding and after due to the surgery, but it’s hardly reducing at all. How long does it take to go? I can’t fit into any normal clothes.
Also, struggling with how I feel. On one hand I’m relieved to have had a life threatening condition treated but on the other I feel this undefinable sadness. We have been trying to conceive for 3 years and had 5 rounds of ivf. Feel like this was maybe my only chance for a baby and now I’m in a worse position than ever. Hurting and bloated.

EPT Host 22

Re: Post surgery swollen belly

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Spainectopic,

I'm so very sorry to hear that you've gone through an ectopic pregnancy and loss. I too had surgery for one of my ectopics. Recovery time is very unique for each woman. Your surgery is very recent and It can take some time for your body to go back to a more normal state.

Recovery from an ectopic pregnancy can take some time and is very individual. As much as I wish I could give you more certainty, as we are so unique, I am afraid there isn't a timeframe as such. It’s important to remember that there is nothing you could have done to prevent the ectopic pregnancy. What I can say is that as the days and weeks pass, you will begin to feel more like yourself again and although the journey may be a bit of a shaky one - some days will be ok, some not so ok - please do be kind to yourself and allow yourself all the time and space that you need to heal.

To assist, you could keep a diary of your symptoms - what you are experiencing, if there is any pain and where, its intensity and anything that helps like rest or pain relief, and noting when your period starts. You can also speak to your doctors sooner, taking these notes with you a GP appointment and the details will help your doctors best manage your symptoms. It is always better to get checked out to be on the safe side.

Your surgery is still very recent, and I would encourage you to take the time to look after yourself and rest. Ectopic pregnancies are emotional and physical traumas, and it can time some time to recovery. Be well and know we are here for you.

With good wishes,

Michele

********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
******************************************************************************************

Spainectopic

Post by Spainectopic »

Thanks for answering. It’s good to know there’s someone there. And that other people have experienced this.
It’s like a loss, but doesn’t seem real as I never allowed myself to enjoy being pregnant and it’s hard to get my head around. Plus I’m taking time off work but there are still things that need dealing with.

stephanie_b

Post by stephanie_b »

Sorry to hear your story, I conceived my baby via IUI sperm donation as a single mom so I understand how precious fertility treatment is and when it works how amazing it is and then when it goes goes so wrong it’s devastating, as if having an ectopic pregnancy isn’t devastating enough x

Have a read of my story if you like, it’s on here.

I found these forums so helpful, it’s priceless really as it’s crazy how much you need to talk to people who understand.

I’m 4 weeks post surgery and still in some pain, literally can not lie on my front and my stomach is still so bloated and I still feel unwell (but had to have the methotrexate injection also so don’t think that’s helped).

Sending love and support and here’s to hoping we feel better soon xxx

stephanie_b

Post by stephanie_b »

p.s I’m still off work too, just been signed pff for another 6 weeks. I’m not rushing as want to feel better and also need my pregnancy hormone diwn to zero!! I wanted to say too, don’t give up in your baby plans, it’s awful now but keep going if you can and when you can. I have one round of IUI left, I’m not giving up xxx

Spainectopic

Post by Spainectopic »

Thanks Stephanie. This forum is useful because although I have a great support, unless you have experienced these things I don’t think you get it!
I’m starting to hurt a little less now, and sleeping a bit better. I can’t really have much longer than 2 weeks off because I’m self employed so not earning. Plus I feel like I’m letting my patients down. I’ll see how I feel later. Think I may have to buy some stretchy clothes!
I don’t think I’ll give up on the idea of conceiving but at age 40 with all that failed ivf I think my chances aren’t great. And now only one tube left. But the fact that I conceived gives me hope that it could happen again. It’s so hard and confusing. I’m getting pressure from everyone not to bother with ivf again. And it’s the last thing I want to think about at the moment. I just want to get back to normal.

I think you’re really brave and you shouldn’t give up either. Maybe we’ll both feel stronger with time xxx

stephanie_b

Post by stephanie_b »

That’s it your absolutely right, it sounds like we have good support systems around us but this place is a god send really.

I do wish you lots of luck though as hopefully in time you’ll feel better and can consider your options or what your plans are next.

I hope you feel back on track when your back to work too.

I have lived in leggings since the end of March, it’s driving me mad... I want my skinny jeans back on but I know it’s going to take a little while longer yet.

I also felt a bit like that though about my fertility journey and had a few days where I thought is there any point trying again but I know in my heart I can’t give up.

Let’s keep going, get through each day and see what the future holds for us, I think we all deserve our dreams after what we have experienced.

xxx

I’ll be 38 in September but

Kate_bs

Post by Kate_bs »

Hi everyone,

I’m also experiencing the awful swollen belly after 6 days of recovering from key hole surgery to remove my left tube and internal bleeding. I can empathise with whoever said they want to be back in skinny jeans!! I’m living in high waisted leggings that sit above my scars but also finding jumpsuits help as there’s no waistband. If there wasn’t anything worse than going through this, it is the constant reminder looking at my poor swollen belly :(

At the moment I feel like I can’t deal emotionally with what has happened until the physical recovery has happened - of course I feel extremely sad and scared but for some reason I’ve been compartmentalising it while I focus on getting back on my feet. The physical shock of being told I was internally bleeding before I went in for emergency surgery still lingers and until I get over feelings about my own mortality, I don’t think I can process the loss properly.

Did anyone else feel like that?

Sending you all lots of love and positive vibes for recovery xxx