By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

BM after surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Zb1882

BM after surgery

Post by Zb1882 »

I had emergency surgery for a ruptured ectopic two days ago. My right tube was removed, as well as a cyst from the same side. Today I’m able to urinate with less pain than the day before but, to put it simply, I’m terrified to poop. It hurts my abdomen to cough or laugh and the thought of straining my body anymore in the process of going to the bathroom is scary. Any advice? I’m afraid of the pain but also afraid of what not going might be doing to my body. This whole experience has been traumatic and i feel silly that I’m literally afraid to poop now.

Skyla

Re: BM after surgery

Post by Skyla »

Hi,

I am 5 days post surgery, and for me the pain improved a lot after 3 days. I am almost completely pain-free now! I think the medication used during surgery can make you more constipated than usual, and I also struggled. I took an over-the-counter laxative on the evening of day 2 to help things along, which helped and made it pain-free to go to the toilet on day 3. I haven't been since (tmi, sorry!) so might take another one tomorrow to get rid of the horrible bloated/constipated feeling.

Hang in there, you'll feel so so much better in less than 48 hours time!

Zb1882

Post by Zb1882 »

Thanks so much for the reply, Skyla.. I’m sorry you had to go through this but glad to hear you’re feeling better! I’ve been taking Colace with my pain killers since the Friday surgery but still nothing. Is there something else you used (that’s doctor approved?)? Pain is lessening today but still no update on the BM side.

Skyla

Post by Skyla »

Heyhey,

No, I didn't take anything apart from sturdy footware pharmacy laxatives, and also trying to eat fibrous foods, cereal and fruits etc. I have had much fewer BMs than usual, and even with some constipation my stitches have been fine when going, just a little discomfort, try not to worry too much and try to go only if and when you feel the need :)

It's just all uncomfortable and worrying right? Hope you're slowly starting to feel a bit better, all the best for your recovery!

Skyla

Post by Skyla »

Haha woops, for some reason it changed the word "sturdy footware" to "sturdy footwear" in my last reply :D

Zb1882

Post by Zb1882 »

Thanks so much.. Yeah just a lot of worrying. I’m sure that gets better with time too :) Thanks for your help

Chickalu

Post by Chickalu »

Please don’t feel silly, I felt the same way after my surgery. I suffer in general from constipation so I got advice from the pharmacist who recommended a good fibre drink that I took for a couple of weeks to help.

Salu2005

Post by Salu2005 »

Zb1882,

I went through the exact same thing and not to scare you but pooping was a nightmare for me. I even took colace for three days straight. If you have already tried pooping with no luck, I highly recommend getting Fleet Enema from your local pharmacy store. I wish I had used it earlier than trying to poop with just gentle laxatives as they did not work for me and I was in so much pain and crying. My husband got me the fleet enema and within 30 seconds i had a painless bowel movement. Hope this helps!

Zb1882

Post by Zb1882 »

Thanks so much.. The Colace finally kicked in after about 72 hours THANK GOD! I was so uncomfortable and I hadn't really been prepared for all the gas pain that follows surgery. Quite the learning experience. Feeling so much better now, hope you are too! Appreciate everyone's communication on these boards.. Every little ache seems so scary after an experience like this so it's really reassuring to hear from everyone else on the forum. Wishing speedy recoveries to all :)