By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Recovery after ectopic surgery.

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Woolens35

Recovery after ectopic surgery.

Post by Woolens35 »

Hello.
I am 4 day post op for an ectopic pregnancy and removal of my left tube. The pregnancy sack had ruptured and I was bleeding internally. Everything including the surgery happened incredibly quickly. My pregnancy was 7 weeks gestation.

In the days leading up to the discovery of the ectopic pregnancy, I was experiencing significant neck pain (alongside shoulder pain which looking back started from day 1 - but I thought I had pulled a muscle in my back).
The surgeon explained to me that when the ectopic pregnancy is bleeding it can irritate the phrenic nerve in the diaphragm which reaches both the pelvis, neck and back and this was likely the cause of my neck pain.
As of today, I am getting very sharp and sudden pain towards the base of neck & I am also feeling light headed and nauseas at time.
Has anyone experienced similar symptoms post op? I am thinking my phrenic nerve may still be irritated. Also did others bleed continuously after the op (not really heavy but constant).
Sorry for all the questions. It’s been such shock for me - walking into Hospital pregnant and leaving with the removal of my pregnancy and Fallopian tube.

Chickalu

Re: Recovery after ectopic surgery.

Post by Chickalu »

Hello
I’m sorry for your loss, I am 7 weeks post op and like you I bleed continuously afterwards. The bleeding lasted for about a week.
I had some shoulder pain afterwards which was due to the gas used in my op, but if you are concerned about the pain you are suffering contact your doctors as they can give you reliable advice.
The nurses on the ward and my GP have all been very good with any concerns I have had post op.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear woolens35,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.

You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.
Having said this, if you feel your symptoms are worsening, please speak to your GP.
We have more information about recovery from ectopic pregnancy here
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/your-bo ... pregnancy/

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Woolens35

Post by Woolens35 »

Thank you both for taking the time to respond; very helpful and it has lifted my spirits - being heard and understood & feeling able to speak freely. Thank you.

Zb1882

Post by Zb1882 »

I’m so sorry for your loss and this very trying experience. I am coming up on two weeks post op and today is the first day I haven’t had any bleeding. I was so nervous with every ache and pain the first 5 days after surgery and was worried about the bleeding too - they tell you “minimal” bleeding is normal but that’s very subjective - after a day or so mine looked more like a period which had me nervous and then slowed down again to lighter spotting a few days later.

As others have said, the pain in the neck/shoulder region from gas is common apparently and really does hurt! The doctors hadn’t warned me about that and I was so confused but these forums helped relieve a lot of my worries :) But like the other posts have said, talk to a doctor/nurse if you’re concerned (I did that as well - no harm in being cautious!)

Wishing you a speedy recovery!