By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic with mirena coil and endo... recovery help!

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
lydia1

Ectopic with mirena coil and endo... recovery help!

Post by lydia1 »

Hi everyone

About two weeks ago I discovered I was pregnant with an ectopic pregnancy after about 5 weeks of bleeding, pain and feeling very out of sorts. I've had the mirena coil fitted since February 2018, so pregnancy was not my first thought, especially as I have endometriosis and assumed it was down to that. Four visits to the GP and nobody suggested a test, so I'm pretty devastated and anxious about the whole thing, it's been really tough on my body and mental health!

I had methotrexate treatment 12 days ago and ended up back in hospital two days ago after having awful stabbing pain and feeling faint. I was kept in for two days but didn't need further treatment or surgery and my hcg levels are dropping nicely (from 880 to 167 over the 12 days). I'm feeling terrible though, possibly even worse than last week! Totally wiped out and strange pains/tingling all over. They are going to try and remove the coil in the next couple of weeks as the strings are no longer visible.

I have a few questions:

1.) Does anybody else have experience of an ectopic/methotrexate treatment with the mirena coil? Did it make recovery harder, or when the coil was removed, did you have further symptoms and bleeding? I'm a bit worried about the effect the coil removal is going to have, even though it obviously needs to come out!

2.) Does anybody have any experience of an ectopic/methotrexate with endometriosis? I'd love to just hear some reassurance or advice about how the healing process might be different, or if there's anything I should be doing!

3.) On my ultrasound scan yesterday, the ectopic was still very visible - possibly even bigger than my initial scan - I could actually see the bagel-shaped mass on my right ovary - is this normal, even with much lower hcg levels? Can that bagel shape stay there for a while until it reabsorbs? I was concerned at how big it looked but was reassured it was normal.

Sorry for such a long post, I'm struggling with all of this so any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

L

EPT Host 20

Re: Ectopic with mirena coil and endo... recovery help!

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear L,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
The coil does not increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy but in the rare chance of you becoming pregnant with a coil, the risk of ectopic pregnancy increases. I am unaware of any complications regarding the coil and methotrexate. It is common to bleed following ectopic pregnancy. The first bleed after treatment is a response to falling hormone levels and involves shedding of the uterine lining and is not classed as a period. The length of the bleeding can vary from woman to woman and some women do report spotting and bleeding for up to around six weeks after an ectopic pregnancy. As a gentle reminder, when your coil is removed, your fertility returns to normal, there is no delay, so may require another form of contraception. Please speak to your GP or family planning nurse regarding this.
I am unaware of any differences in healing from methotrexate with endometriosis.
With regards to general recovery, while methotrexate is metabolised quickly by the body, it can affect the quality of your cells including those of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. One of the side effects to treatment is fatigue and many women feel very tired and are shocked by the exhaustion they experience through treatment. The impacts of the drug are on top of an already immense ordeal - the diagnostic process of ectopic pregnancy, regular visits to hospital, loss of a pregnancy which all take their toll physically and emotionally and is very understandable and normal.

The ‘reabsorption’ you refer to can take weeks and sometimes months to be complete. With methotrexate treatment, when the pregnancy is ended, the whole pregnancy sac including any cells that might have eventually grown into a baby is usually reabsorbed by the mother. This happens because it is our own DNA and cellular material. In some cases, the Fallopian tube may remain blocked which can take some time to shrink and occasionally it may not shrink and may leave a blockage as a small cyst. However the use of methotrexate does not reduce the chances of a future successful pregnancy.

Regarding recovery, with experiencing an ectopic pregnancy, your body is going through a challenging ordeal and it is important to take things easily during your treatment. Following methotrexate, please do not undertake any strenuous exercise or lifting or housework while your hCG levels are dropping. While I do not want to alarm you, there remains the risk of rupture even with low or declining hCG levels. You should not resume exercise until your hCG levels are falling consistently and are in the low 100s. If you experience any worsening pain whilst your levels are declining, please seek urgent medical advice. Your early pregnancy unit, should have given you a number to contact if this happens.

Above all be kind to yourself, allow time to heal both physically and emotionally,
We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team