By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Returning to work after ectopic pregnancy.

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Woolens35

Returning to work after ectopic pregnancy.

Post by Woolens35 »

Hello all,
I am 2 weeks post op (ruptured ectopic and removal of left tube) and returned to work yesterday after having one week off (I work part time: 4 days).
I was incredibly tired by the end of my 1st day and felt unwell over night - unable to go in to work today.
It would be helpful to know how others have found returning to work? How long did you need to recover? (I totally appreciate this varies for everyone and also considering the emotional and psychological healing required for recovery) & did you find that on returning you needed more time off?
Thanks for reading my post.

Bhakti

Re: Returning to work after ectopic pregnancy.

Post by Bhakti »

Hello

During my first ectopic pregnancy I was operated by keyhole surgery and I had 4 weeks off work and I really did need that time to recover.

My second ectopic ruptured and they had to open me up and I’ve been given 6 weeks off work.

Allow yourself time and be easy on yourself. I remember going back to work last time and feeling incredibly tired and I think that’s perfectly normal. Your body has been through a lot. If you’re struggling and need more time off then I’d definitely recommend it.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Woolens35,
Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.
A few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?
Many women experience pain after surgery and this can be the case weeks or months after the trauma. Pain is the body's sign to rest and it is important to be guided by this and taking it easier if you experience discomfort.
In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing major surgery. Please speak to your GP about having further time off work if required.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Woolens35

Post by Woolens35 »

Thank you both so much for taking the time and effort to respond to my post.
It was so reassuring and validating to hear your thoughts and recovery and returning to work.
I’ve accepted that I will need to transition back to work and days off here and there will be an aspect of that until I am fully recovered.
I’m working one day per week from home which really helps and my workplace is very supportive of my recovery needs. I think I was pushing myself too much and minimising what I had gone through.
I needed to give myself permission to heal - which you have both greatly assured with. Thank you.

Rebel06

Post by Rebel06 »

Dear Woolens35, I am also recovering from an ectopic pregnancy and I have been given complete sick leave for 4 weeks, after which I have a phased return to work. I've agreed with my employer that I will be working from home initially, till I am strong enough to travel into the city. So I would say please give yourself time to heal. Mentally we may have healed, but our bodies are still in recovery mode. Take care.